Update on VV-110

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mcdaidjp
Victor Jr
Personal Text: VV-110

Update on VV-110

Post by mcdaidjp »

This may be a long post, but it's worth it.

I finally have some information to share with you all. How did I come to own this beautiful machine? It came from an older lady (family friend) in my home town. As a kid I remember going to her house because it was filled with "old stuff", and as a kid I loved it. She recently passed away and had an estate sale. Since I am in Cincinnati and the auction was in Michigan, my Mom and Dad went to the sale. I had given them a price not to exceed so they were eager to get the bidding started. Needless to say I won.

How did I get involved with this hobby? It all started last year when my company transferred me from PA to OH overnight and I didn't have a place to stay. I made some phone calls and ending up being able to stay with some of my parents friends until I moved my belongings back. Well they had 3 Victrola's in the house and I instantly fell in love. It wasn't until we had hurricane force winds that knocked out our power for 7 days that I really, really fell in love with having them around. They kept me occupied for hours.

Over the last year I have moved into my new place and the crowning jewel is my Victrola.

Now onto some of the more interesting finds that have come along with this machine. First is a picture of the original owner when he was 2 years old. It was his daughter who I bought the machine from. In the background was his house. The picture was given to me from a mutual family friend (that how things are in a small town, everyone knows everyone, I love it). It is displayed along with the machine to give it proper respect.

Second, is this Empire State Observatory record. From my understanding you could record these and send them as if they were post cards. I have some bamboo needles but I am too scared to try. So if anyone has any ideas or would like to give it a try let me know.

Next I have a needle tin, sharpener, owner???s manual, index of records book, list of price changes, and lots of 78s.

I will end with some picture of the machine and a link to the photo bucket account they are under. I hope this helps! Please keep the helpful hints coming, I need all the help I can get.

Here are the rest of the pictures
http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac31 ... %20VV-110/
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty. In no way are they to be considered flaws or defects.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Update on VV-110

Post by Brad »

Very nice machine in very clean condition. You must be happy to be able to get it.

It is great to have provenance as well. The ephemra is in great shape as well.

A great first machine. You have been bitten, make room for more machines. They are coming, they are :twisted:
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

mcdaidjp,

Wonderful photos and a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing them with us. That's a beautiful VV-110. Yes that is a fibre needle cutter you've got there. Looks like you need a used needle cup and a few albums to complete your machine, but all in all a fantastic first machine! Congratulations and welcome aboard!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

tcmeeno
Victor O

Post by tcmeeno »

It's wonderful to see a beautiful unrestored machine like that. They are not that easy to find !!
Terry

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Nice machine! As to that aluminum record, I have played those on a modern electric record player that has the 78rpm speed on it. I used one that had a somewhat worn needle that I didn't care that much about. It played with good results. Frankly, playing discs like that leave me more concerned about needle wear than potential damage to the record.