Grafanola Model 161 Help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Artifex
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Appreciator of all things simply mechanical

Grafanola Model 161 Help

Post by Artifex »

I am trying to restore a Columbia model 161 for my son who loves our floor model Grafanola. The only thing stopping me right now is the winding clutch mechanism is broken, and I do not know enough to understand what is needed. The motor is an Flyer model 5383. When I wind it there is a spring with an 'arm' ( a piece of the spring straightened out) that barely catches on the motor housing (see pictures). As long as the motor spring tension is low, it will hold, but if I wind it much the little arm will slip past the ridge in the motor housing and the whole lever will spin until all tension is released on the drive spring. Any advice on what I need to do to fix and where to get the part would be much appreciated. I am pretty handy, and can do modest fabrication if necessary. Thanks!!!
Flyer 2.JPG
Flyer 1.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Grafanola Model 161 Help

Post by estott »

That piece of spring should be long enough to have a loop in the end that goes around a screw in the motor. It is possible to make a new spring by winding piano wire but I'll leave the description to someone else. You might be able to get a replacement.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Grafanola Model 161 Help

Post by JerryVan »

Is that a hole in the casting? If so, try unwinding the spring just enough to create a "tail", maybe ¼" - ⅜" long and slip it into the hole. This will be the anchor. You may need to carefully heat just the end loop of spring in order to unwind it without breaking it off.
Attachments
spring.JPG
spring.JPG (52.54 KiB) Viewed 747 times