Columbia Model Q

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TimOD9857
Victor Jr

Columbia Model Q

Post by TimOD9857 »

Hello To All,

I have been collecting and rebuilding Cylinder Phonographs for several years. Up until now all have been Edison’s. I recently acquired two Columbia’s. A Model Q and a Eagle.

I took the Model Q apart, cleaned it up, and lubricated it and it works wonderful. Now for the small, tiny, little problem. I some how ended up with an extra piece (stop laughing). It is a small wheel or pulley about ¼ or ⅜ inch in diameter. It has a tiny hole through the center and a grove around the outside. I think it is some sort of belt tension wheel but am unsure. No matter where or how hard I check I can not find a place to reattach this. I honestly do not remember removing it. I double-checked the Eagle and it does not have one.

Does anyone out there possible know where this goes, what it might be and how to attach it? I have looked on line to locate a blow up drawing or a good picture of a Q to see it that helped but so far no luck. I would really appreciate any assistance anyone could supply. Even a link or decent picture would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully I can return the favor sometime.

Respectfully,
Tim O’D

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Columbia Model Q

Post by JohnM »

Sounds like the stabilizer wheel on the reproducer carriage that helps with distributing the weight of the horn against the guide rod. Don't have a photo to show you, but look for a post of the proper diameter on the under/backside of the carriage.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Re: Columbia Model Q

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

I believe John is correct with that call. I looked at my Col. Q and it does not have a belt tensioner. The roller he is talking about measures ⅜" is diameter and the pin through the center measures .095 inch (between 1/16" and ⅛"). It appears to just slide on the pin and once the unit is put together it stays in place by rolling along the horizonal rod.

ColoradoPhonograf
Attachments
ColumbiaQGuide 003.jpg