colors for a searchlight horn ????

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

colors for a searchlight horn ????

Post by tomb »

I purchased a searchlight horn on E bay that needs stripped, patched, primed, and dings removed. This horn is light blue and I wondered if I should stay with that or go with a louder color like green or red which could be striped in gold.??? I would like to stay in the searchlight color parameters though and do not know what other colors have been used. :roll: Tom B
Attachments
needs work
needs work
s-l500.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: colors for a searchlight horn ????

Post by estott »

To be correct you should strip it to bare metal and use a transparent lacquer- but if it is badly corroded (as most seem to be) I'd paint it something in a glossy dark red. The one I had showed that it had wavy lines in black and yellow on the inside to simulate flower petals- sort of like a tulip, and it had orange and yellow in the throat.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The paint on Searchlight horns is notorious for not aging well. Every now and again I see a nice one, but extreme fading or oxidation is typical. There are a number of Searchlight horns shown in Antique Phonograph gadgets, Gizmos, and Gimmicks, as well as in Antique Phonograph Accessories & Contraptions.

Throughout most of 1906, the Searchlight Horn Company took out color advertisements in The Talking Machine World. It was stated that there were 5 colors offered in decorated and undecorated styles. Here is red in plain and decorated styles:
Searchredplain.jpg
Searchred.jpg
Here are violet and blue in plain and decorated styles:
Searchviolet.jpg
Searchblue.jpg
Here is green in both styles:
Searchgreenplain.jpg
Searchgreen.jpg
Occasionally Searchlight horns turn up with flower decoration. Here's one whose flowers remain in nice condition, but the original translucent red paint has faded to pale pink (click on image to enlarge):
Searchflower.JPG
Hope this helps...

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks George...... They are beautiful. I can do the somewhat plain ones but they look excellent too. I have all your books so thanks for reminding me about the resources . The hard part will be finding a spot to display it in my living room. I have had a limit on the amount of machines in there and I do not think they will go for the tooth fairy put it there. I have a while as I have not started on it yet. I do not want to do anything inside as it may make it look like it was fudged I am not that talented . If I can tape it I can do it. TomB

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If you prep the horn and paint it silver-gray, you can go over that with the translucent color and it should look correct. That was one of my favorite motorcycle paint jobs, candy apple red over a silver base.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks I tried it before but used the wrong base before. I used a white instead silver. Tom B

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

Hi Tom,

Did you ever get this horn done? I would like to see some pictures..These are very nice unique horns that display very well..I’m sure that yours turned out great!!

Thanks
Joe

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I got it painted but I am not quite threw. I can use it as is but I am thinking of adding gold stripes to it. Here are a few pictures of the process. I used silver and a translucent blue on it. I am not good at straitening dents so I left a couple of small ones in it. I had some personal problems happen to me while I was working on it so it has been delayed. I thought I had some better pictures of the finished horn but I can seem to locate them. This shows the process backwards Tom
Attachments
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_1944 (1).JPG