KenTone adapter positioning instructions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pcarli
Victor Jr

KenTone adapter positioning instructions

Post by pcarli »

I was wondering if anyone has original printed instructions for using a KenTone adapter on an Edison machine? A specific question I have is whether to lower the horn (thus engaging the mechanical drive) when using the KenTone or position the horn assembly while in the up position to have the sound box track freely — and in either case where to place the Edison tone arm in relation to the record to minimize thrust and wear (the trajectory of the sound box, basically). Recently I have played some discs with the horn up and noting the arc of the KenTone arm/sound box angle across a disc in relation to other lateral machines I have, and the results seem pretty decent, but I'm still curious. Can anyone help? Many thanks..

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: KenTone adapter positioning instructions

Post by OrthoSean »

Don't have instructions, sorry, but you're supposed to lower the horn and start with the adapter's "arm" all the way to the right. It will then travel freely and relatively "true" across the disc.

Hope this helps,
Sean

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'll second Sean's information with the observation that the reproducer will travel a bit faster than the DD drive- I'd start with the horn not quite all the way to the right. This is a trial and error process.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Here is a picture that you can zoom in on to read the directions. Looks like you need to lower the horn to engage the autofeed.

This came with my Chippendale, though I have never tried it.

Brad
Attachments
Picture 018.jpg
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

pcarli
Victor Jr

Post by pcarli »

Many thanks to everyone — positioning the horn carefully just outside the right of the disc (from there adjusting incrementally to size and approximate groove pitch) seems to work very well; comparatively no distortion, it appears, and clean tracking.