Gothic on eBay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Re: Gothic on eBay

Post by schweg »

And yours looks really good too Jerry, at least the one pic I've seen of it. I paid "somewhat" more for the one I have and it's missing some trim around the bottom. I hope to get it fixed up but am waiting for my woodworking buddy to return from his job assignment in Alaska.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Is this the same one pictured in the "Look For The Dog" book? I was looking it up for reference and the one pictured in the book says it's #500. The nameplate on the one for sale here says 500 and #501. Is it the same one pictured?

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

They all have the 500 on the namplate as part of the machine name for some reason. It is then followed by the number of the machine so #501 would be the first.

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

That Columbia BC is highly customized. The cygnet type horn was certainly never made available by Columbia for this model, and this one is clearly cobbled up from pieces and parts. The 2/4 minute gearing is not obvious and is not original to the machine. The standard Columbia style of 2/4 minute gear change that consisted of the shift lever on the side of the feedscrew housing was used on the BC just as on other Columbias. I have a BC with original 2/4 minute gearing and the correct reproducer and auditorium size horn. Yes, Columbia employed a single stylus design for their 2/4 minute machines. The stylus was a tubular shaped piece of sapphire, sized to play 4 minute records. Playing the Columbia 2 minute celluloid records of the day was possible with this stylus, but using it to play wax 2 minutes would destroy those records. The stylus arrangement on this eBay machine is purely customized. It looks nothing like the original.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

dm47
Victor Jr

Post by dm47 »

The man who is selling these machine owns Keystone piano rolls. He has a video posted on YOUTUBE of his Ampico roll cutting machine. Very interesting to watch. Nice man to do business with.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:As for the Gothic's value... I bought one from a California collector about fifteen years ago for $3,500. But today...? Jerry Blais
One just sold at the Wayne show 2 weeks ago for $3700. It's #528.

George P.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

phonogfp wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:As for the Gothic's value... I bought one from a California collector about fifteen years ago for $3,500. But today...? Jerry Blais
One just sold at the Wayne show 2 weeks ago for $3700. It's #528.

George P.
I didn't see the machine there! Where/when at the show was this displayed? Did it sell in the parking lot?!!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

No, it arrived Sunday morning but was spotted in a dealer's truck. It went from one truck directly into another. It's in pretty nice condition too.

George P.