Bought A New One Today

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Re: Bought A New One Today

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

SonnyPhono wrote:Glad I could clear that up for you. :D I didn't want to put negotiable because then I would lose the chance of someone paying the price I am asking. For example, awhile ago I sold a Grafonola 110 on Craigslist. I didn't really want to part with it so I put a very high price on it just to test the waters. It only lasted a day before I was offered my full asking price of $550. So I thought I would try a high price with this one just in case. And like you said, it helps my wife as she can rest assured it is for sale. :)

On a side note, I heard through the grapevine that you may be working on designing a "Franken-Amberola". I can't provide my VI for the parts, but may know someone who has some empty uprights laying around. ;)
Your sources are accurate in their information. A nice upright cabinet to start with is something I need. The plan is to modify the storage area for amberols, a la the Amberola 80.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
I really like your Victrola with record albums. I don't think that it is anyones business what you paid for it,plus you have put some work into it. If you lived in my home town i would gladly pay you $400.00 for it.
Pete

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thanks for the kind words, Pete! Like Brian mentioned, the XIV is a nice acoustic phonograph with a large horn. This one displays well and plays great. So I think the asking price is fair for someone looking for such qualities in a phonograph.

By the way Brian, I am always impressed with the phonographs in your collection! I'm pretty jealous you have an XIV in walnut. I would love any Victrola in walnut. I can't seem to find any for a reasonable price. Post a picture of it if you would. I would love to see it! :)

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

here are a couple of XIV's I used to own in different finishes - the first is walnut, the second is either a fumed or weathered oak. I own another walnut XIV now but have no photos. good luck with selling yours (actually at one point 6 or 7 years ago I sold a mahogany XIV fully restored (motor completely redone, reproducer rebuilt, and overall the cabinet was pretty flawless) for $750 through a local antique store (I'd say that's close to the high end though)... so I too think 450 for yours is a very fair price.
Attachments
HPIM0755.JPG
HPIM0759.JPG
MVC-035X.JPG
MVC-038X.JPG

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thanks for sharing the pictures Brian. Both looked great. I'm keeping my eye out for a walnut Victrola and am bound to find one someday.

I wouldn't mind $750 for my XIV! :D I rebuilt the motor and reproducer. The cabinet is very nice, but not top notch. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards keeping it and letting go of something else. : )