Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Post by Victrolacollector »

I also look forward to buying some when they become available. There has been some great work done this year by fellow forum members in the area of reproduction Disc records. Thanks to all that are taking on this challenge.

Maybe a copy of Greetings from the Bunch at Orange can be made someday.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I've got the near mint copy of Greetings from the bunch at Orange is someone wants to copy it. Marc.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

I was just thinking ... Any thoughts on making the George Gerswins Rhapsody in Blue on Diamond Disc?

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thanks for the nice feedback. I always thought of a Blue Amberol Disc, and I am also a huge fan of the blue Viva-Tonal series. Yes, pressure casting is quite essential to get along.

Don, I like the word play of being hard pressed! :D

I also want to give it a testing with and Edisonic reproducer. Currently, I have some concerns that it might be too much as the Edisonic not very gentle on original diamond discs either. But it would be interesting to see what the actual impact is. But I'll be testing this with a separate copy later. I also will try a different resin composition to figure out if there is an additional benefit to that.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

marcapra wrote:I've got the near mint copy of Greetings from the bunch at Orange is someone wants to copy it. Marc.
That would be nice! Especially with a copy of the original labels. I have always wanted a copy to put with my machine, but the originals are rare and quite expensive. Hopefully someone will be able to copy your mint disc. This would be awesome.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Victrolacollector wrote:I was just thinking ... Any thoughts on making the George Gerswins Rhapsody in Blue on Diamond Disc?
I have an excellent copy of this. To my ears, it doesn't sound very good. Early electric technique, not quite mastered,,but many Edison Electric Diamond Discs sound great...just this one doesn't.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Victrolacollector wrote:
marcapra wrote:I've got the near mint copy of Greetings from the bunch at Orange is someone wants to copy it. Marc.
That would be nice! Especially with a copy of the original labels. I have always wanted a copy to put with my machine, but the originals are rare and quite expensive. Hopefully someone will be able to copy your mint disc. This would be awesome.
Rare and expensive - and incredibly boring! While it might sell well because of its rarity, I know it's something I would personally not buy for the simple reason that I'm sure I'd never play it more than twice!
Last edited by 52089 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi, I would buy a copy of both the "Rhapsody In Blue" and the "Greetings From The Bunch At Orange" when the newer vacuum followed by pressure system is being used to produce them.
I thank you for all your time, effort, and costs to put your system in place!
Best to you and yours,
Allen

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Norman,

How about that Charlie Skeete disc. That would be great to do if you could find a good one to copy.
I think that would sell like wienerschnitzel! ( :D )

Thanks.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Rare and expensive - and incredibly boring!
I can see how some will not find this record entertaining. It was made after all for Edison dealers. It was recorded in 1924 and has many Edison men talking with Charles and Thomas coming in at the end. What I find interesting is when the man in charge of DD production starts talking, how he says "I make white label DDs, not the black label records!" I guess there were still a lot of the poor sounding 1918-21 etched label records around causing complaints from dealers and customers! And when the salesman says that "1925 is going to be a much better year than 1924", you realize that this record was made when sales were down. And when the accountant comes on saying "I'm that popular guy that sends out the invoices every month." And it's interesting to hear Thomas Edison at the end saying "This is Thomas A. Edison speaking. I'm here to see that all these guys do what they say they're going to do!"

Obviously it is not a record for everybody, but fascinating to some of us nerds and phonograph history buffs. My question to both Don and Norman is when you make molds for a DD record, is it possible to put together two sides from different records? Sometimes the flip side of a DD is of much less interest than the good side, and it would sell better if both sides were of high interest. For example, instead of having B. A. Rolfe's Makin' Whoopee backed with I'm bringing a red, red rose, you could have instead B. A. Rolfe's Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love). The other side of that argument is that the Red, Red Rose song is from the musical Whoopee, but you might not know it because it was left out of the Eddie Cantor 1930 movie version. For the movie, they put in a new hit that was not in the Broadway show, My Baby Just Cares for Me.

PS - I also have an E+ copy of Rhapsody in Blue and many other near mint and excellent DDs from the Ron Dethlefson collection that I can make available to Don or Norman if they want. Marc.