Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Post by 52089 »

WDC wrote:Great job! I have made some promising progress and if everything goes accordingly, I will have my first DD out within the next month. I happen to have a decent diamond disc copy of Red & Miff's Stompers' Hurricane/Black Bottom Stomp. So, that one will go in first. Keep up the good work! :D
For those not familiar with the Red and Miff sides on Diamond Disc, I have a playlist of all 4 sides on my YouTube channel. Not my records, just my playlist. I do own a copy of Stampede, but it's kind of beat up and probably not worth trying to duplicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlYnFN ... 2Lrq-s5du7

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thank you for the link, these are exactly those I was thinking of. Red Nichols on Edison is breathtaking, even on an acoustic recording.
hurricanebbs.jpg
hurricanebbs.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I'd Love a Murray DD of "He'd have to get out and get under."

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I'd love one of those 1924 blues issues!Or Eva Taylor singing "West End Blues"!edisonplayer

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Edisonplayer, I asked you before which "blues" records you refer to and you didn't answer me last time. Are you talking about the Ellen Coleman sides?

Sean

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

On Edison DD, there are the Josie Miles sides and the Ellen Coleman sides from 1923-24. There are also Rosa Henderson sides. I have a near mint copy of 51200 from 1923 of Ellen Coleman Cruel Back Bitin' Blues/ You Got Ev'rything a Sweet Mama Needs (But Me). I would love to have some sides by Joe Candullo and His Everglades Orch. like Bass Ale Blues. After hearing that, you realize that Candullo wasn't just another sweet white band! The problem is we all have different records we want duplicated and Don needs to get a consensus of over 12 people to agree to buy one record!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

You're The Cream In My Coffee and I'm Wild About Horns On Automobiles would make good selections...

And here is an idea for labels on the new DDs...
Attachments
Yes She Do-DD-red-blue-BLANK.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I like the label, Curt! :)

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes, nice label. When you say You're the Cream in my Coffee are you talking about the DD version with the Golden Gate. That's good, but there are no lyrics and the lyrics are one of the best things about that song. It all boils down to who is willing to send their valuable record out and what Don thinks he wants to duplicate.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I agree with you Marc on the lack of vocal refrain on the Edison rendition. I've got a copy on DD and wouldn't mind a copy on cylinder but I'm having a hard time spending the money because of no vocal refrain. So many good renditions on other labels with vocals.