I found an Edison signature on cylinder box!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: I found an Edison signature on cylinder box!

Post by NEFaurora »

I agree. It looks like a secretary"s or wife's handwriting. The writing definitely looks female.

Tony K.

:0)

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I would add that I really don't believe this one is authentic:

Compare that to the other one shown and you'll immediately see how crude and labored it is. It looks like someone was trying really hard to copy something rather than freely writing it. The specific details of Charles' style are there, but all are caricatures of the real thing. Loops are wavy, the 'r' in Charles is a hook, with the line flowing from the bottom rather than the top, the 'o' in Edison is non-existent, the paraph at the end is much too short, etc. ad infinitum.

I have a few Charles Edison documents, all have signatures that closely match the obviously authentic check in the picture above.

whitedogfive
Victor O

Post by whitedogfive »

I have a question. If you use the cursive style to write your name in a sentence, does that mean your name is signed? Anyone can use cursive to write any name on a piece of paper. 8-)

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

whitedogfive wrote:I have a question. If you use the cursive style to write your name in a sentence, does that mean your name is signed? Anyone can use cursive to write any name on a piece of paper. 8-)
From an autograph collector's point of view, yes! Collectors occasionally find handwritten invitations with things like "Mr. John Smith requests the honor of your presence at dinner..." and definitely count that as being signed by John Smith (presuming of course that it is indeed John Smith's handwriting.)