I'm in need of some advice/help with machine differences

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

I'm in need of some advice/help with machine differences

Post by EdisonWizard »

I'm looking at a couple Columbia graphophones, wanting to add one to the collection. Being a primarily edison collector I know nothing of the Columbia machines and their confusing names. Can someone tell me the differences, and which ones are typically better machines between the couple of ones I'm looking at? I would like one that sounds good, and is reliable...besides being collectible. I'm looking at an AZ, BF, BKT, BQ, and BE.

These are all almost the same price when makes it even more confusing! The BKT and BQ do not have horns so I'll have to get one but they're super interesting machines to me, along with the BF with its 6" mandrel. I'm guessing all of these are 2 min machines as well. So many options! Thanks Guys!
J.F.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: I'm in need of some advice/help with machine differences

Post by ChuckA »

EdisonWizard wrote:I'm looking at a couple Columbia graphophones, wanting to add one to the collection. Being a primarily edison collector I know nothing of the Columbia machines and their confusing names. Can someone tell me the differences, and which ones are typically better machines between the couple of ones I'm looking at? I would like one that sounds good, and is reliable...besides being collectible. I'm looking at an AZ, BF, BKT, BQ, and BE.

These are all almost the same price when makes it even more confusing! The BKT and BQ do not have horns so I'll have to get one but they're super interesting machines to me, along with the BF with its 6" mandrel. I'm guessing all of these are 2 min machines as well. So many options! Thanks Guys!
My 2 cents:

Be careful with the AZ as it uses a pot metal chassis, a good machine with a very good reproducer otherwise.

All the "B" machines use the same reproducer, so other than doing fine tuning on them they all sound about the same.

I'm partial to the tone arm models so I'd be inclined to tell you to go after the BQ or BKT, the BQ is not a common machine as they were produced in the waning days of the cylinder. If you go for the BQ make sure it has the correct reproducer, the neck on this one is about half the length of a standard one found on the other "B" models, this was needed to clear the curve in the arm bent tube connection.

Horns for the tonearm models aren't that hard to find as any screw in will work, the BKT standard was black with gold trim, the BQ was translucent red with gold trim.

Motors are as rugged as any Edison motor.

Chuck

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Thanks for the info! I really find the tone arm models interesting. If you want I'm going to PM you the pictures to see what you think! The idea of an outside horn that doesn't take much as much space as a crane really interests me as my collection is taking up more space and we are about to downsize the house!
J.F.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If you do go after the Columbia B machines, I would use indestructible cylinders. They are celluloid. The Lyric reproducers are spring loaded. They will wear out your wax records. I am also partial to the tone arm cylinder machines. Good luck with your search.
Harvey Kravitz

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Thanks! I didn't know this. Good to know. I think I will go with a tone arm model. Ones a searsmodel other is columbia...I think I'll go with Columbia. There is a triumph for the same price that's tempting the hell out of me! Only thing I'd be missing from collection then is a concert and opera! These decisions...
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Delete
J.F.