Buying & Selling on the Yankee Trader

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: Buying & Selling on the Yankee Trader

Post by Raphael »

To me, "interested" is far too vague and non-committal a term. But, if the interested person is a good customer, or friend, certain courtesies might be extended. Thus, making hard and fast rules to cover all circumstances is impossible.

And, I agree, sellers absolutely must post a price. I get offered stuff every day, and unless the seller names a price, end of conversation. Too many sellers want to make it an open-ended auction.

Lastly, the Forum is an excellent place to do business, and I've only had one negative experience. Brandon's good stewardship and open-minded approach, listening, and making adjustments, as demonstrated here in this thread, is what keeps the Forum ticking.

Raphael

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

HisMastersVoice wrote:Hey, why are we using all of my stuff as an example?? :?
I'm sorry, Brandon. I should have used my own sold postings. I highly respect your dedication to the Forum here. The postings I referenced were recent and in my mind so I used them. Again, my apologies as I certainly did not wish to single you out.

Doug

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well, I've posted things that sold almost as soon as I posted them, one was because someone I know texted me so I just marked it SOLD. Another I listed in a Facebook group and it sold there within minutes. I think most of us are honest enough to do the "first come, first served" way of business, but I've seen others here NOT do that and that's not fair to folks either way, for example, a machine was posted for sale here I had agreed to buy EVEN BEFORE it was listed here and it got sold out from under me to an anonymous buyer who I'm sure had no idea I was ahead of him. A machine is a highly more involved sale than a small part also, so, as Brandon and others have already said, there isn't one way to make everyone happy. I just try to be fair and most everyone I've dealt with here has been as well and that's what makes this such a great place!

Sean

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

It even happens at the shows - someone says "sold" - I'll pick it up at the show in two months, then they don't show up at the show and you have to lug it back home. This happened to me once in 2014 and just this year.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I had a similar experience on a machine posted for sale with a stated price. I replied SOLD and was shortly contacted by the seller. He stated that he was offered a higher price for the machine but if I wanted to offer even more he would consider my offer. I immediately ended our conversation. I believe the majority of the forum members are honest people and I think that is what Brandon is trying to put in place on the forum. I don't think the rules are for the purpose of seeing who buys what but that the sales take place honestly and upfront.

Rich Gordon
Last edited by rgordon939 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Completely agree with you, Rich!

Sean

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

HisMastersVoice wrote: ...the first person to say "Rutabaga" should get it. :D
...and with a Hungarian accent!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

If someone somehow "get's it" before you could react, so be it. It happens all the time.

If I were the steward of this forum I would just sit back, enjoy a gin and tonic and let the buyers and sellers work it out. :monkey:
Last edited by Valecnik on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Here's my 2¢ worth since I buy and sell on the Trader. I think that regarding a "For Sale" post there should be some way for a person that replies to it first have the first option at buying it whether it's a PM, email or phone call. Let's just pretend a beautiful Zonophone comes on but you can't see the reproducer clearly. There's a big difference in price if it has the correct V Concert or original closed face or just some reproduction. This becomes a thousand dollar sticking point. So, do you have to post "SOLD" and then refuse it once you find out it has a made up reproducer? Most items are posted clearly and for the record (pun intended) I have had great luck both buying and selling here. I will adhere to whatever rules are set in place but I'm just not sold on the "SOLD" idea.
As for privacy, I certainly respect anyone that wants that and would personally like to have the right to remain anonymous on occasion. So, this wipes out the idea of posting "SOLD" as you just exposed yourself. What if you posted an item and a minute later a friend calls and says I'll take it? And 10 minutes later after talking with your friend on the phone you look and see 3 "SOLD" posts?
Brandon, you do a great job, good luck resolving this. You know nobody wants your job so we will agree with whatever you want us to do.
What prompted this post anyway?
Thanks for the great job. Joe
p.s. I saw some don't like the "PM sent" posts, I'm sorry I have done that but will never do it again

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

That why I put in a previous post about this = A complete detailed description with the maximum allowed photographs which I think Brandon now says are 30. I hate one blurry or upside down or sideways photo,, or a for sale post that states: FOR SALE Victor VV-IV in good condition and the seller puts up one photograph. Description description no matter how long, and lots of detailed photographs. Then the seller will get no questions on what he/she is selling on the Trader. SOLD!