Edison Opera Bedplate Color

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Edison Opera Bedplate Color

Post by brianu »

I just saw this machine for sale online, and I haven't seen many in oak, so I was curious whether this is how the bedplate color/enamel/paint should look. might anyone have one with a totally original bedplate and a photo that could be posted?
Attachments
ooperatop.jpg
ooperatop.jpg (95.64 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
ooperadetail1.jpg
ooperadetail1.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Edison Opera Bedplate Color

Post by Valecnik »

Pictures are hard to compare because of different lighting and so on. Your photos look like a good match but a bit lighter than my Amberola 1B and definitely lighter than my III, (both oak). Pictured below is the 1B.
Attachments
capture.jpg

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

second pic
Attachments
capture.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Looks correct to my eye.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Thanks for the quick responses. This is fully disclosed as redone, by the way, by a known reputable seller, I was just curious because I couldn't remember seeing an original one on an oak opera before.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

brianu wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. This is fully disclosed as redone, by the way, by a known reputable seller, I was just curious because I couldn't remember seeing an original one on an oak opera before.
I agree that it's well done. I'm sure the originals can always be a bit different shading for a variety of factors.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have seen an original oak Opera bedplate and I own an oak Opera where the bedplate was redone. I had to have my bedplate redone or keep a bad amateurish paint job. But mine came out so well and it is as close to original as I think you could get. Marc.
Attachments
P1000928.JPG
P1000927.JPG
P1000924.JPG
P1000923.JPG

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

nice... and to my eye that looks a bit darker and closer to what I was expecting to see, which is why I asked about the other machine in the photos I posted.