Cirola--what's this you got?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Cirola--what's this you got?

Post by jboger »

Finally finished with the Cirola I got an an auction with the Standard Model X2, a Standard Model A, and a Columbia AA (I think--keep forgetting to look up the model). I have a fondness for the Cirola and now have two complete machines and a third that needs work. All three have minor differences, and if anyone is interested I can illustrate them, although I realize many people are not interested in the off brands.

Anyway, do have a question. For what purpose does the top inch or so of the spindle screw off? Take a look at the pictures and you will see what I mean. Two of my machines have this feature, the third doesn't, which I think is the earliest of the three. All have the same length spindle. If you unscrew the removable part, there's enough left of the spindle to hold one record in place but no more. Was this part interchangeable with something else?
Attachments
DSCF1332.jpg
DSCF1332.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 899 times
DSCF1331.jpg
DSCF1331.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 899 times

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Cirola--what's this you got?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Perhaps there were other spindles included with the machine (Standard, Harmony, Aretino, etc) that are now long lost...?

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I collect mainly off-brand machines - YES post some photos if you can !! 8-)

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

OK, i'll post some photos tomorrow.The differences are small, I think, but make one wonder. For example, what I think is the earliest Cirola has six screws to hold the motor board in place, whereas the others have four. That one also has a clip to hold the crank in place; the others merely have a hole through which you simply thread the crank to store it. Then there are octagonal name plates and circular ones, and the positions of the name plates vary. Other differences as well, all as made.

I believe these machines date from around 1918-20 Although I like the idea that difference sized spindles could be screwed in place to accept different records, those dates seem a little late for those non-standard hole sizes. But it's the best idea I've heard. So maybe.

Are there any other phonographs that have a spindle that could be unscrewed?

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

jboger wrote:OK, i'll post some photos tomorrow.The differences are small, I think, but make one wonder. For example, what I think is the earliest Cirola has six screws to hold the motor board in place, whereas the others have four. That one also has a clip to hold the crank in place; the others merely have a hole through which you simply thread the crank to store it. Then there are octagonal name plates and circular ones, and the positions of the name plates vary. Other differences as well, all as made.

I believe these machines date from around 1918-20 Although I like the idea that difference sized spindles could be screwed in place to accept different records, those dates seem a little late for those non-standard hole sizes. But it's the best idea I've heard. So maybe.

Are there any other phonographs that have a spindle that could be unscrewed?
I posted some pics of a cirola on April 9 th.. It is a portable that has the sound box as its lid. It also has a long spindle. Tom B

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Tom: As soon as I saw your crank, I knew which of my two styles yours matched. I have A3627 in mahogany. This is the type with six screws to attach the motor board to the case. It also has the octagonal name plate to the left of the hole in which the tonearm sits. And both have a crank with a larger diameter shank. Yours is the first I've seen in oak. Yes, your spindle is long but I believe the top does not unscrew. That's a feature that belongs to the second of my two styles.

Let me ask my question again. Does anyone know of any machine of any make that has a detachable spindle like the Cirola?Why go to the trouble and expense of threading a piece on unless it served some purpose? Interchangeability with some other part does make sense . . . .

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

On the Victor Victrola's VV-50 portables ,the newer models , had a longer spindle to store records during transport. In the lid was a spring that held them in place though. That may be one of the uses. I do not think you want to keep stacking records on the spindle after you play them but that may be another use. Too bad there is not any instruction manuals available. Tom B