Victor Reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor78
Victor I

Victor Reproducers

Post by Victor78 »

Does anyone have the tap size needed for the Exhibition and the #2?

Jim

Henry
Victor V

Re: Victor Reproducers

Post by Henry »

Tap size for what? Needle screw?

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Guess I didn't read that over before I hit the 'post' button. I hate gettin older! But yes, I was wondering about the needle bar thumb screw size. Thanks Henry!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Just checked my Exhibition. Unfortunately, the needle screw thread seems to be an in-between size: it's a 56 thread, but closer in gauge to a #1. Why couldn't Victor have simply made it either a 2-56 or a 1-72, then things would be a whole lot easier?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It might have been a standard screw size at the time. Reportedly, Edison hinge pins used the same threading as Waltham Watch Screws.

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

estott wrote:It might have been a standard screw size at the time. Reportedly, Edison hinge pins used the same threading as Waltham Watch Screws.
Yes, Estott is correct. I don't remember where the subject was covered, probably on a certain forum that is now down the memory hole, but clock and watch threads were standard on phonographs for many years. To get the right thread, you'll have to find a clock repairman.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
Victor78 wrote:Does anyone have the tap size needed for the Exhibition and the #2?

Jim
Here ya go Jim,

Victor Exhibition Sound Box
  • Thumbscrew - #1-56TPI
  • Balance Spring Mounting Screw, Tension Adjustment Screw and Lock Nut, Rear Casting Screws - #2-56TPI
  • Shoulder Screws for Rubber Taper Tube Flange #5-40TPI
  • ** Diaphragm Mounting Screw - #00-120TPI
Victor No.2 Sound Box
  • Thumbscrew - #1-72TPI
  • Balance Spring Mounting Screw, Tension Adjustment Screw and Lock Nut, Rear Casting Screws - #1-72TPI
  • Set Screws for Rubber Taper Tube Gasket #4-40TPI
  • ** Diaphragm Mounting Screw - #00-120TPI
** I have also seen #00-110TPI used instead of #00-120TPI

Walt
Thanks Walt, I appreciate your wisdom :D

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
Henry wrote:Just checked my Exhibition. Unfortunately, the needle screw thread seems to be an in-between size: it's a 56 thread, but closer in gauge to a #1. Why couldn't Victor have simply made it either a 2-56 or a 1-72, then things would be a whole lot easier?
LOL...
Henry yer just ticked because model trains don't use a #1-56 thread... Me too btw... BUT, if they did, I wouldn't have to have custom taps and dies made to the tune of $45 to about $65 a pop.
You got that right, Walt! Here I sit with this nice tap set and Victor messes me up! Let's hope I never need to extract/tap for a needle screw (or anything else, especially the "extract" part). I once somehow busted off a screw inside of a very costly Minolta shift lens (let's not get into what led up to THAT!) and was in a pluperfect funk about it; luckily, the threaded hole went all the way through the piece, and I was able to turn the broken off part all the way out the other side with a jeweler's screwdriver. I then found a proper replacement screw at the hobby shop (it was a slot car part, I'm embarrassed to admit). Talk about luck! But model railroading experience, and tool sets, have come in mighty handy for lots of little jobs over the years.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

1-56 taps are available from Production Tool Supply, 1-800-270-5779. Catalog number ER60-00156, $9.50. (Probably other places too.)