Mahogany Cabinet Edison Home Phonograph - Expensive?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Mahogany Cabinet Edison Home Phonograph - Expensive?

Post by CDBPDX »

I have an opportunity (and the desire) to buy an Edison Home cylinder phonograph with a mahogany cabinet. The seller is asking a lot for it, and it will require some work to get it in good shape. Is this worth a premium because of the mahogany cabinet? Not a lot of pricing info available for this. Any thoughts?

I might just have to accept that it is out of the price range of my meager budget...

Thanks! Cliff
Attachments
tn-600_JME_EDISON-HOME_MAHOGANY-CABINET_0001.JPG
tn-600_JME_EDISON-HOME_MAHOGANY-CABINET_0001.JPG (84.1 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Mahogany Cabinet Edison Home Phonograph - Expensive?

Post by alang »

I think because of rarity they command higher prices than oak, but can only offer anecdotal information from the Breinigsville auction a few years ago:

EDISON BANNER HOME PHONOGRAPH IN MAHOGANY, SN H130157, W/CYGNET BACK BRACKET, MODEL C REPRODUCER, DEALER TAG ON FRONT $1050

I think that's close to twice what a similar oak machine would bring, especially if you add the buyers premium.

Hope that helps.
Andreas

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Thanks! These folks are asking $400 for this one as is.

I can do any repairs and only charge myself $25/hr, so add another $75 or so to that.

Haven't found the lid yet, but they assure me it is around somewhere.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi Cliff-- Unless the case is a total wreck, you should snap it up. The mahogany Edisons are tough to find and command a premium. I wish I could remember where it was, but within the past few years I saw a nice restored mahogany Home with horn sell for $2000. I believe it may have been the Wayne, NJ show. Perhaps someone else will help my failing memory. At any rate-- if you don't take it, I suspect there would be a long line of forum members that would love to have the seller's contact info :) Congrats on a great find!

Brad Abell

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

outune wrote: At any rate-- if you don't take it, I suspect there would be a long line of forum members that would love to have the seller's contact info :) Congrats on a great find!

Brad Abell
Looks like the model B works with a later Home case. In any case its still well worth the $400 asking price(with lid). You would not have to invest any time or money.
Just buy it and put it back up for sale as is. As mentioned there would be a long list of collectors after it.

My 2 cents
Larry Crandell

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Grab it!!! Check out my post about the mahogany Triumph at last Friday's auction. It had problems but still had a hammer price of $6500 plus a 13% internet buyer's premium plus 5.5% state sales tax plus shipping.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Hi Cliff:

Make sure that you check it out and that it actually mahogany. Some people stain over the oak cases with mahogany stain.
I would say buy it if it is really mahogany.

All the best,

Jerry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Victrolacollector wrote:Hi Cliff:

Make sure that you check it out and that it actually mahogany. Some people stain over the oak cases with mahogany stain.

All the best,

Jerry
Ditto. The inside of that cabinet looks suspiciously like oak...

George P.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonogfp wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:Hi Cliff:

All the best,

Jerry
Ditto. The inside of that cabinet looks suspiciously like oak...

George P.
I'm also not seeing the corner posts that usually appear on the top wood frame on mahogany Homes.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Good Eye George!! I enlarged the photo quite a bit-- I see what you mean about inside the case-- and perhaps I'm seeing an oak grain on the base trim?? Cliff-- check it out well-- If oak, I'd pass at that price. If truly mahogany.... grab it! :)

Brad Abell