Gem model?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Gem model?

Post by ts_13 »

I am looking at a GEM serial number G25922. I do not know what model it is, it does not have a crank/key. Ideas?

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Gem model?

Post by Phono-Phan »

Yes, I have an idea. Please post pictures for questions like this.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Sorry I was posting that on the move. Here are some pics.
Attachments
gem3.JPG
gem2.JPG
gem.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks like a Model A Gem. It would be nice to see the markings on the wide side of the lid. The "branded" case Gems precede the banner decal Model A key wind Gems. I've read that the Model A Gem was rushed into production with some less than satisfactory results. The various fixes resulted in quite a few variations of the A Gem. Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry's right - that's a Model A, missing its key. It's also equipped with the Gem Speaker, an inexpensive improvement on the original design. It still wasn't a very good performer, so the Model B was eventually substituted, followed by the Model C Reproducer.

One researcher claims over 20 variations of the Model A Gem. If the motor is all there, you should be fine. However, trying to replace motor parts with all those variations can be a long-term project.

George P.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Thank you both very much! If I can get it for a reasonable price I might think about it. I have a lot of "projects" the wife keeps reminding me about! hahah

Thanks again guys y'all are an invaluable resource.

T