Edison Gem Model D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Edison Gem Model D

Post by EdisonWizard »

Is the johnsons paste wax good to use on wood cases and lids? I put Howard's orange oil and the beeswax stuff every now and then. With the high humidity down here I'm always looking for a way to protect and preserve my machines.
J.F.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Django wrote: I like your Gem C and the old newspaper background. I have an A, C and D, but in my humble opinion, the C is the nicest looking. I used to have a Norton Commando, black with gold. Very dignified.
Django, I'm likely the only one on this board that appreciates your post referencing a Norton Commando. I am in the middle of restoring my 1975 Mark III 850. See below surrounded by phonos in the garage. By the way I have a super nice Gem Model C with 2/4 minute conversion and 19" horn. Priceless (nearly)
Joe
Attachments
IMG_0368.JPG

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Man I wish I had so many Phonos I had to put them in the garage :lol:
J.F.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

My Gem Model D is a bit of a factory second. The graphics on the front face were not applied straight, but it still presents well and I like things with a little character. It's not very noticeable as displayed.
Attachments
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Django wrote:My Gem Model D is a bit of a factory second. The graphics on the front face were not applied straight, but it still presents well and I like things with a little character. It's not very noticeable as displayed.
Off topic, but I'd like to see some pictures of that Norton. The 2 into one and piggy back shocks are a nice upgrade from stock. They are a thing of beauty. The biggest drawback were those Lockheed brakes. I do miss that bike though.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My Gem Model D is a bit of a factory second. The graphics on the front face were not applied straight, but it still presents well and I like things with a little character. It's not very noticeable as displayed.
I enjoy the machines with factory flaws. But if I were doing a restoration it would end up being a "do over!"

Jerry Blais

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry B. wrote:
I enjoy the machines with factory flaws. But if I were doing a restoration it would end up being a "do over!"

Jerry Blais
It's not perfect, but still too nice to restore. It will always be flawed as long as it is with me. :D
Last edited by Django on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Fireside ... SwguxZeOIl

Here is an original, maroon over black, one piece horn.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote:My Gem Model D is a bit of a factory second. The graphics on the front face were not applied straight, but it still presents well and I like things with a little character. It's not very noticeable as displayed.
I had a Model C Gem whose decal "GEM" was just as crooked as yours. Like you, I always sort of liked it. It's funny what we'll allow if it's original, but wouldn't tolerate as restoration. :)

In one of our books we show a beautiful Vernis-Martin Victrola XVI whose original lid decal is upside down. I'll bet someone caught some grief for that.

George P.