Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Mounting 10"-12" selector buttons on Edison C-250

Post by fran604g »

David,

For future reference to this post, and just to be clear:

The measurement I posted for the location of the 10"-12" start selector push buttons is exactly correct.

As I pointed out earlier, the incorrect plunger lengths on yours can be easily cut off to proper dimensions. Also, it would be fairly easy to modify the horn travel limit finger to the necessary dimensions if you so choose - just find a local fabrication/machine shop with welding capabilities, and they can make it grow to the proper lengths (it's difficult for me to accurately tell your measurements from your photo). All they would do is cut off the 2-¼" extension at the 90° bend, fabricate and form a new piece (with the 45° clip on the outward end), and weld it onto the bottom portion. Easy peasy.

Or you could try to locate the correct parts for a C 19, but that might prove difficult.

The following image provides the elevation and extension values needed to make the feature function.

Best,
Fran

EDIT: David, if you can find the time, I'd like to see an image of the horn finger/plunger relationship with both assemblies mounted. In case you aren't sure, the reproducer should be UP, so that the horn is in its upward most position while using the feature (just in case it was inadvertently lowered into the "play" position, while installing the horn travel limit finger).
drh wrote: What's worse, I can't get it mounted in such a way that it can come even close without either hitting the cabinet interior at the end of the horn's travel or else one of the bedplate mounts at the beginning, in either case impeding the horn's swing through its full range.
Attachments
Horn mount finger elevation and extension.JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

fran604g wrote:David,

The measurement I posted for the location of the 10"-12" start selector push buttons is exactly correct.
And just to be equally clear, I never meant otherwise. You were very kind to post the dimensions for me, and the reason they didn't work out is definitely that I have the "wrong" kit for a C-250. In other words, the problem is at my end, not yours!

I'll see what I can do about posting a photo or two of the kit "in place," but it will take me a few days--"real life" continues in its constant whirl. Personally, I'd much prefer it were my phonographs that were whirling, but there it is!

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

drh wrote:
fran604g wrote:David,

And just to be equally clear, I never meant otherwise. You were very kind to post the dimensions for me, and the reason they didn't work out is definitely that I have the "wrong" kit for a C-250. In other words, the problem is at my end, not yours!

I'll see what I can do about posting a photo or two of the kit "in place," but it will take me a few days--"real life" continues in its constant whirl. Personally, I'd much prefer it were my phonographs that were whirling, but there it is!
I meant, and have taken no offense, I'm just keenly aware that your post will live on in perpetuity, and I only wanted to make sure folks in the future get it right. :)

The whole world is watching... ;)

Best of luck with your renovations!

Cheers,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Marching forward, I sacrificed the contributor horn travel limit finger to fabricate a new piece to use with the button plungers I altered the other day.

The blank for the fabricated top extension was 16ga. X ½" X 2-¾" hot rolled flat steel plate. The 90° bend was at ½". The 45° clip was 5/32" from the long edge. I cut the extension off of the contributor, and welded the new fabricated one onto the original base. As you can see, the compound angles at the base were slightly different between the two, so I needed to do a little tweaking in the vice to match the two angles I needed with the fabricated part.

-Fran
DSC07089crop and text.JPG
DSC07092crop.JPG
DSC07093crop.JPG
DSC07094crop.JPG
DSC07096crop.JPG
DSC07100crop.JPG
DSC07104crop.JPG
DSC07107crop.JPG
DSC07110crop.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

continued...

Works great!

EDIT: Original photos replaced with correct orientation thumbs
Attachments
DSC07117 (Large).JPG
DSC07120 (Large).JPG
DSC07121 (Large).JPG
DSC07122 (Large).JPG
Last edited by fran604g on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have owned many Edison DD machines over the years. Fran, this question might go to you. Why is it that the only DD machines that I've seen with 10-12 keys are consoles? I don't think I've ever seen an Edison upright with them. I've owned a London upright, a Chippendale 250, a W&M-19, a Hepplewhite H-19, and the Edisonics, which never had them at all. I own two Edison consoles right now, a W&M-33 and a BC-34, and just bought a rare IU-19 console. All three have 10-12 keys. None of the upright Edisons that I own have them. Is this just a coincidence? Marc.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:I have owned many Edison DD machines over the years. Fran, this question might go to you. Why is it that the only DD machines that I've seen with 10-12 keys are consoles? I don't think I've ever seen an Edison upright with them. I've owned a London upright, a Chippendale 250, a W&M-19, a Hepplewhite H-19, and the Edisonics, which never had them at all. I own two Edison consoles right now, a W&M-33 and a BC-34, and just bought a rare IU-19 console. All three have 10-12 keys. None of the upright Edisons that I own have them. Is this just a coincidence? Marc.
Marc,

I really have no idea, unfortunately there is little information on the topic of standard groove 12" records reported by Frow. However, I completely believe that my late C 19 #172,249 (estimated to have been produced in early/mid 1923) left the factory equipped with the 10"-12" selectors. There is no indication the feature isn't original to the machine.

Best,
Fran

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

It seems that Edison was seriously considering the manufacture of 12" standard-thread discs around 1923-24. The record storage cabinets of some machines were designed to accommodate them, and of course the 10"/12" buttons were provided. A project that unfortunately didn't go anywhere.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:It seems that Edison was seriously considering the manufacture of 12" standard-thread discs around 1923-24. The record storage cabinets of some machines were designed to accommodate them, and of course the 10"/12" buttons were provided. A project that unfortunately didn't go anywhere.

George P.
And to further confuse (me, at least) is the provision of the early bottom A 250 drawer, that seems to have been designed to accommodate a larger than 10" diameter record. It seems that the company may have been at least considering the idea of 12" records, even from the earliest days of Disc development. :?:

Best,
Fran

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Absolutely. The 12" Edison disc record was an on again/off again proposition that for some reason never gained traction - at least not until too late.

George