New Member looking to do a restore/repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: New Member looking to do a restore/repair

Post by 52089 »

Gerry wrote:Chris,
I should change the needle after every record?
Absolutely. Steel needles are designed to be used once and tossed. Fortunately they are cheap, around $5 per hundred for modern ones, and are available from the usual suppliers (see the Links section), or eBay.

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

Yes sir or else you'll really mess up your records :o

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

I just acquired my first Victrola and, like you, was surprised to learn that needles are meant to be tossed after just one play. But yes, it's a fact. I suspect most of the 78's you've heard over the years - from flea markets, antique stores and your grandparent's home - sounded old and scratchy because the needles were NOT changed. Either users a) didn't know, b) were trying to save money by using the same needle over and over, or c) knew better, but didn't care.

I have heard a couple of near mint 78's that, clearly, were never played, or played just a few times and wow! You wouldn't believe how clean and clear they sound. With little or no background noise. I'm convinced that a lot of that classic "78 sound" everyone's familiar with is actually the sound of not changing needles after each play.

Gerry
Victor Jr

Post by Gerry »

Thanks I never would have known or guessed this. That explains the extra needles with the player.
Gerry