Edison CV1 Amberola Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
hearsedriver
Victor III

Edison CV1 Amberola Questions

Post by hearsedriver »

There is a Edison CV1 in a local antique shop here for $125.00. The motor runs but the diamond B reproducer and grille are missing. As you can see, the bedplate will need to be repainted as well. The cabinet should clean-up OK. How much would a replacement reproducer and grille run me? Im wondering if it is worth the time and investment. Thanks
Attachments
001.JPG

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Edison CV1 Amberola Questions

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Grille: $45 (Gramp's Treasures)
Diamond B: $150 (rebuilt)

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

The CVI is the third iteration of the Amberola VI. The BVI and CVI are very similar and according to Frow, used Fireside motors. Those motors are considered to be pretty reliable.

You'll need a Diamond B reproducer which tends to run around $150 now for a decent example. Alternatively, you can use a N reproducer with an adapter ring, and this would also allow you to play wax Amberol records.

These don't show up every day, but they're not particularly sought after or valuable either. If you want this type of machine, your first choice should probably be a an Amberola V, with your second choice a VI. The later iterations of those machines were not as well built as the originals.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think you'll want the grill behind the mechanism as well. Jerry B.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

That is a rare Amberola model and well worth the money. It me years to find one.