New VV IV Owner

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rigglet
Victor Jr

New VV IV Owner

Post by rigglet »

Hi all! I am the new owner of a VV IV. Based on the serial number it is from 1919. I just got this from my father who didn't know what he was going to do with it. I'd like to do a very light restoration on it as it already appears to be in fairly good condition. Upon my initial inspection of it I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping this group can assist me with.

1. What is a good site for parts? I know I need a complete governor setup as this is clearly missing when I inspected the motor. I'll also need replacement felt for the turntable and at least one replacement knob for the doors.

2. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason for the second hole drilled in the crank side of this cabinet? I assume someone at some time put a different motor in the device and drilled another hole for a different crank position. Anyone have any ideas of an easy fix for this? I'm trying not to strip and redo the entire cabinet...if I can help it.

Looking forward to working with everyone on this forum. I'm excited to get this device back into playing shape.
Attachments
20170808_125445.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: New VV IV Owner

Post by JerryVan »

Rigglet,

The knob will most likely appear on eBay for not too much money. The felt is available there also.

I doubt the motor has been replaced, at least that's how it appears from your photo. The hole? Who knows. I would leave it there, as-is. Anything more that you do to remove it will most likely entail the removal of more wood & finish than is gone now and it will most likely look repaired. NOT picking on your restoration skills! Just recognizing that an invisible repair of that kind is fairly difficult.

Post a photo of the motor. It will suggest what governor is needed and if the motor is original.

rigglet
Victor Jr

Post by rigglet »

Thanks for the super fast reply, JerryVan! Here is a picture of the motor. I know it needs cleaning and regreasing, but overall looks to be in fairly good shape.

I'll look for the other parts on eBay.
Attachments
20170808_132002.jpg

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

A good source for parts is Ron Sitko. His contact information is in the Links Section of the forum. See the PM for more information.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That governor should be relatively easy to replace. No doubt Ron Sitko or George Vollema can help you.

Did you notice the "EXPORT" stamping on the motorboard? I'm sure we'd all like to see a photo of that machine's dataplate - and the entire machine while you're at it. :)

That motor looks pretty dry. A good cleaning/lubrication should work wonders.

If you're not already aware, the Antique Phonograph Society has a nice web site with a series of Introductory articles open to the public. (Nearly 20,000 pages of other documents from January 1890 to the present are accessible to members.) Go to the website using the link, and click on the "Articles" tab:

https://www.antiquephono.org/

Good luck!

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

You could place a "wanted" ad in the classified section of this forum. There are several that have sold on eBay for about $25. Note also, you'll need the end bearings for the governor as well.