Edison B375 Diamond Disc - Some Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mariof
Victor I

Edison B375 Diamond Disc - Some Questions

Post by mariof »

Hi All,

As my earlier request for advice regarding packing of this machine for shipping may have revealed, I recently purchased an Edison B375 (this will be the only DD machine I've had in my collection for a while). I've attached some pics from the original offering as I haven't received and photographed it as yet. I was seeking information as to:

1. What the correct grille cloth would be and where it might be sourced?
2. Whether there is a DD reproducer that would be "most" correct for this model (Obviously gold but are there variances that suit these machines)?
3. An Estimate/Figures on how many A/B375s are still about?

Many thanks!
Mario
Attachments
FullSizeRender 26.jpg
FullSizeRender 34.jpg
FullSizeRender 29.jpg

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Edison B375 Diamond Disc - Some Questions

Post by audiophile102 »

Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful machine. Here's a guy who can answer your questions. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=21028 Try sending a direct message.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Mario, congratulations! I'm more than a little jealous...

I notice that this machine appears to have been equipped with the Edison Electric Automatic Stop (aka the "Duncan" stop), would you tell me the data plate serial number, please?

I also notice the motor plate is what I refer to as the Type B mechanism, motor plate, 2nd iteration finish scheme (black, with black instruction decals, and gold pin stripping); this scheme seems to have disappeared on the Chippendale C 250 around the same time as the appearance of the E.A.S., reportedly by January 1st, 1917.

I'd love to know more about your Louis XV. Is there an "Official Laboratory Model" medallion, and if there is one present, what is the exact wording?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Fran,

Note that the machine pictured - although having the Edison Automatic Stop tube on the horn - is equipped with the conventional start/stop/brake controls of the Type B mechanism. I doubt that this machine was ever equipped with the EAS.

I have a B 275 outfitted exactly the same way. It would appear that Edison was using EAS horns on some machines not equipped with it.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:Fran,

Note that the machine pictured - although having the Edison Automatic Stop tube on the horn - is equipped with the conventional start/stop/brake controls of the Type B mechanism. I doubt that this machine was ever equipped with the EAS.

I have a B 275 outfitted exactly the same way. It would appear that Edison was using EAS horns on some machines not equipped with it.

George P.
That's interesting George. Thanks for the information! How curious...the horn with conduit should (in theory) have followed the motor plate finish scheme. At least some B275s must have been built using the older type motor plate finish scheme, with the later type horns. :o Crazy Edison...:lol:

I'd love to see the M-P under the turntable to note if an EAS solenoid had ever been installed, and was later removed to be replaced by the conventional start/stop lever configuration.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

Thanks it is a nice machine and I should have it very soon. I'll post more pics then.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

mariof wrote:Thanks it is a nice machine and I should have it very soon. I'll post more pics then.
Mario,

George and I examined his B 275, and discovered that though it is equipped with the proper horn for the E.A.S., it indeed never had the solenoid installed - so clearly, the Edison Co. was utilizing unused stock to assemble some machines, probably after the termination of the automatic stop. On mechanism units I've examined with the E.A.S. factory installed system, the screw holes on the motor plate, to which the solenoid would have been mounted, were gold plated for conductivity. I have to believe this would have been typical.

If (once you have possession of your machine) you remove the turntable, and either one of the start/stop levers, you'll be able to view one of the threaded mounting holes in the motor plate. I'm curious to see what this reveals. :)

Best regards,
Fran