Victrola speed adjustment needle issue

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Victrola speed adjustment needle issue

Post by apruizii »

I just picked up a beat up VV-210 Victrola that I'm fixing up. I've noticed the speed needle responds to increasing the speed with the adjustment screw but the needle doesn't respond to slowing down the speed. However, the motor does speed up and slow down when turning the speed adjustment screw. I've oiled all of the areas related to the speed adjustment mechanism including the leather pads but still can't get the needle to respond to slowing down the speed.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

AR

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Victrola speed adjustment needle issue

Post by soundgen »

The Hair spring which returns the needle when the motor is stopped is broken ! It is a very very fine hair spring , if too thick a hair spring is used to replace it , it will slow the motor

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Soundgen,

Where is the hair spring located?
What does it look like?

Thanks,

AR

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

AR,

Yes, the hairspring may be broken, but more likely, the speed indicator mechanism is gummed up with old oil. The mechanism, (including the hairspring), is located under the motor board & directly below the speed indicator needle shaft.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Soundgen,

Okay, the spring is black and looks like a spiral and it's located around the speed indicator shaft, correct?

AR

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:AR,

Yes, the hairspring may be broken, but more likely, the speed indicator mechanism is gummed up with old oil. The mechanism, (including the hairspring), is located under the motor board & directly below the speed indicator needle shaft.
If it was gummed up it wouldn't move at all would it ?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

apruizii wrote:Soundgen,

Okay, the spring is black and looks like a spiral and it's located around the speed indicator shaft, correct?

AR
Black maybe with age , yes coiled around the shaft with the long end protruding into the mechanism and providing the force to return the needle to the rest position

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Soundgen,

Okay, got it. I'll check it out and will clean it.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it!

AR

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Yes it would work, but would have the exact problem yours does. The indicator spring causes the leather pad on the indicator drive arm to be in contact with the governor flywheel. When the motor is started, the governor weights are pulled outward which pulls the flywheel toward the speed control pad. The indicator also follows the motion of the flywheel, causing the indicator needle to move away from zero. When the motor is stopped, the governor weights are pulled back by their springs and the flywheel moves back to its starting point. The hairspring causes the indicator pad to follow this movement and return the indicator needle to zero. Thus, the indicator is driven by the governor when motor speed increases, but returned to zero only by the tension of the hairspring. A little light oil on the pivots of the indicator should cure the problem. After oiling, move the indicator pad in and out a few times to work the oil in. Usually it will loosen up quickly. Of course, if the spring is broken oiling will not help. In that case I would recommend that you look for the complete indicator assembly rather than replacing the spring. There are probably thousands of them out there on scrap motors, most of which have good springs, but they are rarely needed.

Jim

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

soundgen wrote:
JerryVan wrote:AR,

If it was gummed up it wouldn't move at all would it ?
Gummed up, not glued tight. The governor exerts more force to move the needle forward than the hairspring does to return it to zero.