Update and an Islander's Silvertone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Update and an Islander's Silvertone

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Hello again, and apologies for even more waiting on the record repros, as I am on vacation out of the country. On subject now, while I was at a small museum, I came across this machine, which was gifted to a British immigrant who lived on the island. One oddity was that the machine had been fitted with an Exhibition. Now, this is an island on which everything must be imported, so the reproducer must have been changed in favor of Victor's reproducer before it was exported. I was told it hadn't worked in many years, and upon inspection, most parts had rusted up, and the spring unwound without notice. If I had my tools with me, that machine would've been billowing an HMV electric record. After all, I was on vacation and without repair equipment. Interesting story nonetheless.
Attachments
20170817_152350.jpg
20170817_152340.jpg
Last edited by RolandVV-360 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Update and an Islander's Silvertone

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It looks like a typical machine that probably provided people with entertainment several years ago. Thanks for sharing the photo and story.

It is interesting to encounter machines like this one when on a trip, but yes, with tools, it might have been revived.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The George P. Bent decal is interesting.

Like so many manufacturers, Bent started out in the late 19th century selling reed organs under the "Crown" label. As organ sales declined, they diversified into piano sales, and finally into phonographs.

Bill

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What island?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Curt A wrote:What island?
It is Little Cayman Island, a sister island of the well known tourist destination Grand Cayman Island.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland