Amberola 50 question please !

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dulcetto
Victor II

Amberola 50 question please !

Post by Dulcetto »

I am currently restoring an Edison Amberola 50 ( oak case ) that had been partially dismantled by its previous owner for whatever reason. My question relates to the 8 wood-screws that fix down the decorative internal wooden grill that surrounds the phonograph mechanism. When I received the phonograph , those wood - screws were missing. Can someone please tell me if those screws are flat countersunk or rounded head countersunk ? and presumably nickel plated ? I notice that the wood-screws that fix the lid hinges are rounded head countersunk so I am thinking the screws for the grill are probably the same , but thought I would ask members of the forum so that I replace the screws with the correct type.
Appreciate any advice , thank you. Dulcetto

Columbia78
Victor I

Re: Amberola 50 question please !

Post by Columbia78 »

Dulcetto wrote:I am currently restoring an Edison Amberola 50 ( oak case ) that had been partially dismantled by its previous owner for whatever reason. My question relates to the 8 wood-screws that fix down the decorative internal wooden grill that surrounds the phonograph mechanism. When I received the phonograph , those wood - screws were missing. Can someone please tell me if those screws are flat countersunk or rounded head countersunk ? and presumably nickel plated ? I notice that the wood-screws that fix the lid hinges are rounded head countersunk so I am thinking the screws for the grill are probably the same , but thought I would ask members of the forum so that I replace the screws with the correct type.
Appreciate any advice , thank you. Dulcetto
One of my Amberola 50 machines was missing those screws and the best solution I could find was using these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Screws-Ova ... 1359250983

They are the right size and the oval heads are also correct. I would have preferred finding them in a dark color, the brass looks a little too new for my beat up mahogany machine. But I believe this is what you would be looking for.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

On my mahogany Amberola 50 the screws are round headed countersunk bronzed finish, and appear to be the originals.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If you use new brass or steel screws and want them to look aged, use this: Birchwood Casey Super Blue

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... B0000C515I

Pour a little in a small Dixie cup and place the screws in the liquid, swirl it around and remove them. Spray some oil or WD-40 on them to stop the process and you're done...

Alternately, heat them with a torch to red hot and dip them in motor oil... whichever method appeals to you the most.

I always remove all screws during a restoration, clean the slots with a file and polish them. Afterwards I age them back with the above method. My thought is that rust is not "patina", but rather neglect.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

My Amberola 50, in the very low 2000 range, has nickel-plated oval-head countersunk screws holding the grille in place. I don't recall seeing a 50 that had anything but nickel-plated screws.

Jim

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Thank you one and all for your replies. Nickel - plated rounded head countersunk ( known as oval - head in USA and raised - head in UK ) would seem to be correct then in an oak cabinet. I thought as much , as the screws then match in with the lid hinge screws. Many thanks again Dulcetto

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"oval-head countersunk screws holding the grille in place. I don't recall seeing a 50 that had anything but nickel-plated screws."

+1

I have a pretty much Factory MINT Oak Amberola 50. My Amberola 50 has Original Oval Headed Slotted Nickel Plated Countersunk screws.

I concur with the statement above.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer