Victrola VV XIV not playing 12 in. Records

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Victrola VV XIV not playing 12 in. Records

Post by travisgreyfox »

So as the title says, I just bought a model XIV that seems to sound great for an acoustic older record player, but for some reason 12 inch records sound like they are in slow motion. Some of them even just stop like the turntable runs out of energy. I notice this same thing happens with newer 78 records too (which I know I'm not suppose to play on this machine).

Also, of important note, whenever I engage the turntable I have to manually spin it with my hand to get her turning.

Thanks in advance.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Victrola VV XIV not playing 12 in. Records

Post by Phono-Phan »

You could need new springs. Check out the links section for Ron Sitko or George Vollema. They both have springs available or can put them in if you want them to.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Phono-Phan wrote:You could need new springs. Check out the links section for Ron Sitko or George Vollema. They both have springs available or can put them in if you want them to.

Thank you for that information. When I wind the crank about 30 times I can play records for 12-15 minutes.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

travisgreyfox wrote:When I wind the crank about 30 times I can play records for 12-15 minutes.
Hi Travis.
Are you saying that it will play the 10" records normally for 12-15 minutes and not the 12" records? At the risk of being obvious, are you winding the spring enough to get through a 12" record? (You're not trying to play a vinyl LP on it - right? ;) )

Certainly cleaning and re-lubing the mechanism would not hurt a thing. As Phono-Phan suggests, perhaps the main springs are tired. Forgive me if I am telling you stuff you already know, but the APS has some good introductory articles that are worth checking out:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

https://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/

In any case, stick to it. The VV-XIV is a great machine that should give you years of enjoyment.

Regards,
Martin

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

martinola wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:When I wind the crank about 30 times I can play records for 12-15 minutes.
Hi Travis.
Are you saying that it will play the 10" records normally for 12-15 minutes and not the 12" records? At the risk of being obvious, are you winding the spring enough to get through a 12" record? (You're not trying to play a vinyl LP on it - right? ;) )

Certainly cleaning and re-lubing the mechanism would not hurt a thing. As Phono-Phan suggests, perhaps the main springs are tired. Forgive me if I am telling you stuff you already know, but the APS has some good introductory articles that are worth checking out:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

https://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/

In any case, stick to it. The VV-XIV is a great machine that should give you years of enjoyment.

Regards,
Martin

Thank you for the reply.

The machine plays 10 inch records fine. The problem comes into play with 12 inch records. They sound very "off" (maybe slowed down a great bit) and some even stop playing because the table just stops spinning. I do not know if it is because the 12 inch ones are heavier and the springs are weak or what.

As for the suggestion that it may be a broken spring::: Whenever I turn the crank it is very smooth and motor is not noisy in the least. I can get about 40 full 360 cranks of her before the springs feel too tight to stress any more. I'm just trying to add some context here (if it helps any) :|

Thanks everyone

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Travis,
Are the 12" records older acoustically recorded types or are they the later electrically recorded type? It would seem that at least the inner 10" of your 12" should play as well as the other 10" records. On under-performing machines I have noticed that softer records will create excessive drag as well as later electrically-recorded records with lots of high frequencies. Certainly, cleaning the mechanism will help with the lack of power. A close-up photo or two of your turntable with the reproducer in playing position and the problem record may help.

Regards,
Martin

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

martinola wrote:Travis,
Are the 12" records older acoustically recorded types or are they the later electrically recorded type? It would seem that at least the inner 10" of your 12" should play as well as the other 10" records. On under-performing machines I have noticed that softer records will create excessive drag as well as later electrically-recorded records with lots of high frequencies. Certainly, cleaning the mechanism will help with the lack of power. A close-up photo or two of your turntable with the reproducer in playing position and the problem record may help.

Regards,
Martin
Martin, the machine plays all records (new and older 78s), but only has problems with 12 inch ones and the (as you have just mentioned) newer, softer records.

What mechanism needs to be cleaned (and maybe oiled)? Sorry about the ignorance, but I'm soaking it all in!

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Before you start buying new springs try something simple! Most likely the motor just needs some lubrication. The gears and governor are usually the culprit for motors that slow down with the drag of the needle on the record surface. Vaseline on the governor plate & pad(s) and some light grease on the rest of the gears should do the trick.

Let the machine wind down, carefully remove the turn table and the motor board screws. When you raise the motor board you probably will see an diagram on the bottom. Take a look and go from there.

A full motor rebuild/lubing is something you can try later when you read up on how to do those things. Start with the easy stuff.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I messed with the table more and it seems like it is rubbing something. Like I aforementioned, I must start the table moving by spinning it with my hand then the motor takes over. Well whenever I just give the table a slight "bump" to start going it goes really and slow and sounds like it is rubbing on something on its way around? Do you guys have any idea if this could be a cause of the "slow" motor also and if so, what could it be rubbing on?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

You are asking for people to guess what the issue is. If you are mechanically inclined:

Remove the turntable. Remove the screws. Remove the crank. Lift out the motorboard so you can see the motor and what the possible rubbing issue is. Note that the motor may be caked with black grease that is nearly impossible to remove from carpeting if it gets on it.

Many of us here do our own repairs. I suggest you get a copy of the Eric Reiss repair book, "The Compleat Talking Machine; A Collector's Guide to Antique Phonographs." It's been the "bible" for phono repairs for 30 years.
Best regards ... AZ*