Not very clever

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Not very clever

Post by Curt A »

Here is what I would try... WD-40. It will loosen the glue without damaging the finish or the decal. I have used it on my BMW to remove tar, I have used it on other items that i bought that had stickers or labels applied that I did not want and it removes the residue. GooGone will also work, but there are several varieties and strengths that may not be good, so I think the WD-40 is your safest first choice... It will not harm the shellac finish or the decal...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Polyphone
Victor II
Personal Text: There is a fine line between clever and stupid

Post by Polyphone »

Try n-heptane.....it is the king of solvents for gently removing stickers, tape, goo, etc. I have had amazing success with this product.

Ken Flaherty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doc-Edington-s- ... Sw3gJZJlQQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDBALL-ART-P ... SwmoBZbNr6

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Test 1: Bigshot tip :-) thx

So I tries this on one of the sides. Maybe the quality of the tape is advantageous. So I folded the tape back and very slowly pulled the tape back on itself. This method - so far so good - left little bits of tape on the finish - so a good solution. So 1 down 5 to go....I'm dreading the 2 across the logo!

I'll also try the other solutions suggested. Many thanks.

(yiu can see on the tape where the adhesive was lost. On the case moulding where the tape was not 180 degrees a timy spec of finish lifted
Attachments
gr4.jpg
gr3.jpg
gr3.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 665 times
gr2.jpg
gr2.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 665 times

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Someone suggested heat, and for the decal that is what I would try, As an art restorer I have had people send me art carelessly packed where packing tape is stuck to the front of the art, or it has been mounted to a backing board the tape into the image and then the mat 2 side taped over it. Get a flat palette knife art at art supply store, and sharpen one side with sand paper. I use a heat blower that I picked up from Harbor Freight and also have a $500 rig that digitality puts out very controlled heat to differently shaped tips to bring up tape, but more that half the time I use the blower and palette knife method. I have not had much luck with hair blowers. The trick is to never let the blower stand still, use the lowest heat start with a corner and as it softens side the palette under and start to lift. If you leave some residue that's OK.

Check with some picture framers in the area and ask if they have adhesive release-its $35.00-40.00 a quart but you may find someone to give you a small amount. Use a q-tip dipped and rolled out to lift the residue. I have never had it lift any type of ink or decals in over 40 years of using it-when I have used it on shellac, it has never changed the finishs look.

Good luck on this project!
Abe