victrola governor weights

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

victrola governor weights

Post by travisgreyfox »

So I took apart my VV- XIV to clean everything off and I found a problem. It looks like (to me) that two governor weights somehow sheared off. Luckily I found one at the bottom of the machine. The other is not there. Is there anyone who sells this kind of thing? Anyway, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion. Are the "bars" that hold the weights suppose to be split in two or did these just break that way? You guys see this often?
Attachments
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: victrola governor weights

Post by JerryVan »

This is a common problem. Measure the length of the unbroken spring and search eBay for "victor governor" or "victrola governor". The springs are cheap. Right now, there are some weights with springs attached, however, I wouldn't pay the current asking price, but that's just me. Keep looking and a reasonable offering will surface.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's just my "old guy" opinion but I'd skip eBay and go directly to the source where those sellers buy their items. Ron Sitko or Musical Americana can provide just about anything you need for your Victrola. Go to the "Links" section of our Forum and look for the "Repairs & Parts" listing.

Respectfully, Jerry Blais

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

One additional thought... When replacing governor springs and weights, replace all of them, not just the broken one. This insures that the governor will run in a balanced fashion and that the springs will have the same tension.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Perhaps I was hasty and incorrect in my response about most eBay sellers. I received the following pleasant reply to my post.
Jerry,

You said, "I'd skip eBay and go directly to the source where those sellers buy their items."

I had to chuckle at that. It is inaccurate information and should be corrected. For the record, I (Walt Sommers) actually make, or have manufactured, most of the parts that I sell on eBay, but I'll bet you didn't know that?

Walt
I may be an old guy but not too old to learn something new. Thanks, Jerry Blais

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks for all the invaluable information everyone. How'd you guys get anything done on these machines before the advent of the internet anyway??? A wondering millennial mind must know! :lol:

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Jerry B. wrote:Perhaps I was hasty and incorrect in my response about most eBay sellers. I received the following pleasant reply to my post.
Jerry,

You said, "I'd skip eBay and go directly to the source where those sellers buy their items."

I had to chuckle at that. It is inaccurate information and should be corrected. For the record, I (Walt Sommers) actually make, or have manufactured, most of the parts that I sell on eBay, but I'll bet you didn't know that?

Walt
I may be an old guy but not too old to learn something new. Thanks, Jerry Blais
No, Jerry, your comment is neither hasty nor incorrect. While Walt may indeed make his own stuff, he is in the minority. There are many sellers who buy from Ron and relist his stuff on eBay. Most don't even bother repackaging things, which means that Ron's distinctive handwriting and stickers are clearly visible.

I have bought from both Walt and Ron and will continue to do so.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

travisgreyfox wrote:Thanks for all the invaluable information everyone. How'd you guys get anything done on these machines before the advent of the internet anyway??? A wondering millennial mind must know! :lol:
We belonged to and participated in clubs. Called people on the phone. Ordered parts from catalogs and mailed in checks for them. Our "Social Media" was to actually socialize and speak face-to-face with human beings. I sound cynical, well I am. But, like others, I do use the internet, eBay, etc. and yes, it does make collecting & restoration somewhat easier, but not always as fun and challenging as it once was.

Enjoy your phonograph and visit us frequently here. :)