Model of a RCA portable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Model of a RCA portable

Post by tomb »

HELP>>>>This is the last RCA that I need identified. With the colored tone arm I feel it is a late model production from RCA possibly after 1946 or 1947. With the RCA only designation. The RCA Victor 5H had colored arms and came out after the war in 1946. They resembled the RCA Victor line up that was produced for many years... I think it may be there last crank portable phonograph produced. Any help would appreciated.. I found information on the model 2-12. Thanks Ortho. Tom B

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I came across some PDF editions of RCA Victor Services Notes/Data ranging from 1923 through 1946 --

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/RCA ... ervice.htm

While there's a lot of information about the portable Victrolas--along with radios, early TVs, etc.--in these issues, your mystery portable is not listed. As luck would have it, the years 1947-1948 and beyond are not yet available from the site, nor anywhere online, from what I can see.

I'm wondering, though, if any members of this forum have copies of these issues, say between 1947 and 1950, that they could check to see if the portable is listed. If you belong to any radio forums, you might also check there.

OrthoFan

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks again OrthoFan I got into that site and spent a day there. You are probably right that it may be in one of the later books not published. I took my time in the site because of no model number. I checked with Steve's site and he did not have any information either. He has most of the drawings. I will now list it as model unknown and maybe somebody will identify it. I have everything now and am setting up a page per model. I am half way thru. There are 22 models so far.The only one missing is the RCA. I think I will post next week. I will take pictures of each page and list them.
The special edition RCAs surprised me as there are four not three as I thought. I am working on a special edition model L right now. I am replacing a few parts and hope when I get a battery it may work .. If not I have to send out the amp and maybe have the tone arm rebuilt in Germany. Tom B