Model of a RCA portable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Re: Model of a RCA portable

Post by RolandVV-360 »

OrthoFan wrote:Many thanks for the photos.

The tinny tone could also result from a diaphragm suspended in rock hard gaskets, along with a "too-stiff adjustment" of the sound box's needle-bar fulcrum.

OrthoFan
Well, I'm currently restoring a portable that was made only an hour's drive away from my home, and was marketed to the general area. It uses the same reproducer as your RCA portable does, and also has somewhat of a shrill/tinny tone. I found that the needle can't be adjusted tight enough to ensure completely lateral tracking, giving it bad sound from the small amount of vertical tracking allowed by the loose needle bar.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

RolandVV-360 wrote:Well, I'm currently restoring a portable that was made only an hour's drive away from my home, and was marketed to the general area. It uses the same reproducer as your RCA portable does, and also has somewhat of a shrill/tinny tone. I found that the needle can't be adjusted tight enough to ensure completely lateral tracking, giving it bad sound from the small amount of vertical tracking allowed by the loose needle bar.
Hi Roland:

Is the problem with the thumbscrew holding the needle in place, or is it the two pointed lugs (held in place with small bolts) on either side of the needle-bar's pivot?

If it's the thumbscrew, it may be too short--possibly replaced at some point.

OF

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

OrthoFan wrote:
RolandVV-360 wrote:Well, I'm currently restoring a portable that was made only an hour's drive away from my home, and was marketed to the general area. It uses the same reproducer as your RCA portable does, and also has somewhat of a shrill/tinny tone. I found that the needle can't be adjusted tight enough to ensure completely lateral tracking, giving it bad sound from the small amount of vertical tracking allowed by the loose needle bar.
Hi Roland:

Is the problem with the thumbscrew holding the needle in place, or is it the two pointed lugs (held in place with small bolts) on either side of the needle-bar's pivot?

If it's the thumbscrew, it may be too short--possibly replaced at some point.

OF
Apologies for the lack of detail. What I meant to say, is that the pointed lugs that hold the needle bar cannot be adjusted tight enough to provide proper lateral tracking.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

RolandVV-360 wrote:Apologies for the lack of detail. What I meant to say, is that the pointed lugs that hold the needle bar cannot be adjusted tight enough to provide proper lateral tracking.
Hi Roland:

That's interesting. On the sound box I had, they were way too tight, restricting the needle-bar's movement.

I'm wondering if the pointed lugs on your sound box wore away with time, or gouged a "too deep" hole on either side of the needle bar. This would make for an interesting post in the "Tips, Tricks, & Tutorials" section of this forum.

OrthoFan

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I will check out the reproducer. I found out it is not a military one I was checking out a web site and it had a lousy picture of one and they do not match. I saw several like this one on a auction site and they also had no model number listed. Tom B

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

tomb wrote:...I found out it is not a military one I was checking out a web site and it had a lousy picture of one and they do not match. Tom B
Hi Tom:

Sorry for the late response.

My speculation--and that's all it is at this point--is that this might have been produced by one of the suppliers that manufactured phonographs for RCA at the time, as a "ruggedized" portable suitable for military usage. It's possible that this design was submitted for approval to the military at the time bids were put out, and that the military decided not to procure it, so whatever stock was produced was then sold to RCA, and perhaps, others. (Obviously, it would take quite a bit of research of suppliers of military goods during WWII to confirm this, providing the records still exist.)

The model that the military finally adopted--the one manufactured by Pacific Sound Equipment Company of Hollywood, CA--is most typical:
Capture.JPG
(Not Mine!)

If you google "Mechanical Field Phonograph" you'll spot quite a number.

I've only spotted a few rusted out examples in my part of the country, at deep pocket prices. (One seller wanted $900.) The few I've seen on Youtube are obviously in "as-found" condition, with no attempt made to restore the sound box, so I haven't a clue as to what they might have sounded like originally.

OrthoFan

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Ortho fan I think you are right about it might have been originally a military design then modified. The RCA Victor company put out a regular machine that looked close to its prior models after the war in 1945. It was called model 5-H. It is a common machine and many were made in different colors. It had its tone arm colored and different colors inside. I am getting a strong feeling that the machine with only RCA on it in the middle of its record holder was the last portable crank machine they made. I think they did not put a model number in it that left some sticker residue , It also has a colored tone arm. It does have a cloth like outer covering which would not have been in the military specs since it would tear easily with the hard handling it would receive being transported around. I am getting close to being able to identify all the RCA portable models. I am still researching three and that is one of them. I even learned about models mot listed in its production run which were model 2-25 and model 2-12 and need help with them. Once I get every thing together and permission to publish some of the pictures and graphs I will post to the forum. It will be a long post. Tom B

AllWoundUp
Victor I

Post by AllWoundUp »

I have the same model, it was my first wind-up phonograph, around 10 years ago.
Here's a youtube video of it playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyA3t4TmBSg

Sounds pretty good, very loud though. I did rebuild the reproducer.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

tomb wrote:Ortho fan I am still researching three and that is one of them. I even learned about models mot listed in its production run which were model 2-25 and model 2-12 and need help with them. Once I get every thing together and permission to publish some of the pictures and graphs I will post to the forum. It will be a long post. Tom B
I look forward to reading it!

I don't know if you've seen it, but here's a schematic for the 2-25:
RCA VICTOR 2-25.pdf
(49.28 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
I also found another for the 2-19, (which you didn't mention):
RCA VICTOR 2-19.pdf
(61.69 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
(FROM: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/)

I'll check to see if I can find something about the 2-12.

OrthoFan

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

AllWoundUp wrote:I have the same model, it was my first wind-up phonograph, around 10 years ago.
Here's a youtube video of it playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyA3t4TmBSg
Sounds pretty good, very loud though. I did rebuild the reproducer.
The sound box rebuild probably enhanced the mid-range considerably. I'd imagine, compared to an Orthophonic 2-55, it would be a little short on bass, since the horn is shorter--by about a foot based on what I see in the photos Tom posted. But still, it seems to have a good, clear tone, and is not at all tinny sounding.

Many thanks for posting that.

OF

OrthoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.