What can I get for...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

What can I get for...

Post by Victor A »

Hi everyone,

I know that the value of any phonograph, record, or memorabilia is quite reliant on condition and personal value, but, I am considering investing some more money into this hobby, and I'd like to know what disc machine(s) would fall in the about 250 dollar price range. I didn't want to post a wanted ad in Yankee Trader quite yet, as I'm not sure what machine I would consider buying. Plus, I'm fairly new to the hobby, and would like to be more knowledgeable as far as value is concerned.

Thanks
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: What can I get for...

Post by OrthoSean »

For $250, I'd expect (or even offer to you) a selection of nice, gone through inside horn phonographs. VV-IV, VV-VI, VV-IX and the like. Floor model VV-X and XIs are also plentiful in that range, but for $250, it would already be gone through and needing nothing (at least that's how I sell machines like this).

I'm curious to hear what others say, but these are nice basic workhorse machines and a good value if you're just looking for a decent machine to play and enjoy.

Value is always subjective, with machines like the ones I mention above, you're paying more for the labor and time involved in cleaning them up, doing the reproducer, motor, cabinet clean / polish and all that.

Sean

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

If you are looking for external horn disc machines, $250 will not buy much except perhaps a project machine. That amount of money will buy interesting internal horn machines. I attended the APS sale and saw nothing in that price range except a Bing Pigmyohone.

Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You don't mention what sort of disc machine interests you: with or without an external horn? With or without a lid? U.S. or European? Oak or mahogany? Lateral, vertical, or both?

If you'd be happy with an upright or console in mahogany, your choices are numerous - depending on where you live.

But my advice would be not to buy based upon a dollar amount, but on what you like. You could find a cute little VV-IV for $150 that you like more than a VV-XI at $250. Educate yourself on what's out there, decide what you'd like to add to your collection, then act. :)

George P.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

phonogfp wrote:You don't mention what sort of disc machine interests you: with or without an external horn? With or without a lid? U.S. or European? Oak or mahogany? Lateral, vertical, or both?

If you'd be happy with an upright or console in mahogany, your choices are numerous - depending on where you live.

But my advice would be not to buy based upon a dollar amount, but on what you like. You could find a cute little VV-IV for $150 that you like more than a VV-XI at $250. Educate yourself on what's out there, decide what you'd like to add to your collection, then act. :)

George P.
Yeah, I was going to go there too, so instead I just went with "what could you get all ready to go for a disc machine in the $250 range". Over the last few months, I've been selling off dozens of machines from my collection, each gone through, cleaned, tuned and all that good stuff. The people that have been buying have been the "we just want one that looks and plays great" for our old house types. What surprised me most was that once they saw some of the more not-so-common machines, they decided on one of those instead without me trying to "sell" anyone anything. The appearance of the nicer, more elaborate cabinets is what sold them, all I did was show and demo anything they asked about.

Look around, go to Wayne or any of the other shows, there are lots of things to see and learn about. Most of us that do shows are more than willing to help out.

And have fun in the process!

Good luck,
Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Where do you live?

Here's a real deal on a high end Edison for $200. If I was about 5,000 miles closer I'b probably be loading it up now.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ ... 29229.html

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Valecnik wrote:Where do you live?

Here's a real deal on a high end Edison for $200. If I was about 5,000 miles closer I'b probably be loading it up now.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ ... 29229.html
I'm certainly closer than you are, but it'd be a bit of a stretch. Thank you for the link nonetheless.

I do realize now that it would help to be more specific. My interests span the entire spectrum, but I'm particularly fond of the portables of the teens (specifically the "Madison")and Columbia open works phonographs, but I'm also a fan of Victrola table models. I've wanted to get into cylinders, but i'm not quite to a point where that would be feasible.

I have taken note of the Chicago Phonograph Show in Grayslake, Il. (an hour from Wayne) on September 9th and 10th.
https://www.antiquephono.org/events/gra ... -sept-9th/

And thank you guys for being willing to help me out! :)
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Shipping or driving could be a big part of $250. I had a Credenza for $300 that was complete and I could not sell. But I live in New Hampshire. I guess it is a secret what state folks are from..