Columbia Graphophone Type B - Nickel vs. Standard Plating

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Columbia Graphophone Type B - Nickel vs. Standard Plating

Post by brianu »

Is there an easy way to determine whether the mechanism on a Type B Graphophone is definitely nickel plated, rather than just an unusually bright and clean standard finish? maybe some mark or notation on the id plate? and was the nickel really that uncommon relative to the standard?

I've been examining a really nice one on a forum member's web page...

http://www.edisontinfoil.com/colpoly.htm

... but just can't tell when compared to what I've got.

Django
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Graphophone Type B - Nickel vs. Standard Platin

Post by Django »

From what I am told, all B Graphophones are Nickel plated. Very few are polished.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The vast majority of Columbia Eagles were brushed steel and the precious few polished nickel plated ones were only produced in 1898 as I recall. An easy way to tell is by the serial number range and bright nickel plating on the components that are usually best preserved: governor ball weights and mainspring barrel assembly. No matter how diligent one is with polishing brushed steel it will never produce the shine / reflective quality of nickel plating. Some pics of mine are below. It's completely original.

Doug
Attachments
Columbia Nickeled & Polished Eagle 2.JPG
Columbia Nickeled & Polished Eagle 3.JPG
Columbia Nickeled & Polished Eagle 1.JPG
Last edited by FellowCollector on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Here are two quick, not so great shots... the reproducer is obviously not nickel plated, but the rest of the mechanism seems unusually bright and reflective to me, and I haven't started cleaning or polishing anything as yet. The serial number is 149xxx.
Attachments
IMG_6533.JPG
IMG_6534.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Yours is one of the polished Nickel machines, lucky. George Paul is keeping a data base on these. He would probably want to know your serial number.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That is indeed a polished Eagle - congratulations. Its serial number fits into the known range.

Actually all Eagles were nickel-plated, but the $10.00 and $12.00 models (brushed steel) were simply dipped (I think I recall reading that this was referred to as "flashing" or something like that.)

The $15.00 "Nickeled and Polished" variety had its metal parts (except the reproducer) polished smooth and then plated/polished to a mirror finish - like the 1901 AB Graphophone.

George P.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Cool... thanks for that analysis, it's much appreciated.

So the reproducer also appears to be a correct original despite not being similarly nickeled?

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

The reproducer should be an Eagle type and is highly polished but not plated, I believe. I have owned more than my share of them and not one had a plated reproducer. The reproducer in this picture is a type used on an early Q. The Eagle reproducer will be easy to find. I think they all had a 10" belled nickeled horn, too. So, were you able to buy this one? If so congrats. One of my favorites. See my avatar.
Joe

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

Your is definitely the polished nickel version and a very nice machine! You can always tell by the nickle plated balance weights. On the non-polished nickle machines, those weights are either raw brass or painted black.