Pull Start Canadian Berliner Type A, back together

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Re: Pull Start Canadian Berliner Type A, back together

Post by Victor A »

First, AWESOME job!

Second, Can someone please explain to me How the pull start works? I am curious.

Thanks!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

AMAZING SAVE!

ANOTHER ONE RISES FROM THE ASHES!

I'm partial to the black horn, Looks "bone stock".

Glad I could help,

Bob S.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"Second, Can someone please explain to me How the pull start works? I am curious."

This is not actually a "pull start" machine, nor was there ever a manufactured one in existence... The term comes from the fact that the original spring barrel was cut open and two sections removed. A string was wrapped around the spring barrel shaft by some unknown previous owner and it appeared to be like a pull start lawn mower motor. This was probably someones great idea of a way to play it without a replacement spring... There is a picture of this machine in its original configuration on an earlier post by django...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

It is a pleasure to see something brought back to life and look so good. Great going... Tom B

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Curt A wrote:"Second, Can someone please explain to me How the pull start works? I am curious."

This is not actually a "pull start" machine, nor was there ever a manufactured one in existence... The term comes from the fact that the original spring barrel was cut open and two sections removed. A string was wrapped around the spring barrel shaft by some unknown previous owner and it appeared to be like a pull start lawn mower motor. This was probably someones great idea of a way to play it without a replacement spring... There is a picture of this machine in its original configuration on an earlier post by django...
Ah, I see. Thanks Curt.
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

That looks great George. Glad you were able to rescue the machine. The motor casing looks original. Good job.

Bob

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Thank you all for the kind words. I don't know if I would do it again. It's a bit risky buying one like that with no parts lined up.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Good to see this thread again, since it shows how a machine that was "beyond help" could be brought back from the dead... Great job.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Awesome job!!!!! Did you do your own re-plating?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Phono-Phan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:28 pm Awesome job!!!!! Did you do your own re-plating?
Thank you for the kind words.

I had the plating done locally and they did a great job without looking overdone. I did do the prep work for the plating. I also machined a new spring barrel and made the traveling arm and it’s associated hardware along with some motor parts. John Duffy straightened and polished the horn with the Brass bell, (I was amazed because that horn was a crumpled mess and it looks perfect now). Bob, (Zwebie), kindly donated the crank and the clamp that connects the traveling arm to the reproducer. Another forum member sold me the reproducer and I was happy not to have to make one again. Other members offered advice and pictures and information about this particular machine, so it was really a group effort and I am grateful for the help and encouragement that I received from members of the forum.