Model of a RCA portable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Model of a RCA portable

Post by tomb »

I have been trying to figure what model this RCA is. It has a steel rack and says RCA on it instead of Victor RCA on most models.. It has a lot of plastic on it too which really cheapens it. I pulled the turn table and there was noting there. Tom B
Attachments
RCA Portable
RCA Portable
IMG_1848.JPG

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Model of a RCA portable

Post by tomb »

My hopes for a RCA I.D. are being dashed. I was hoping one of the phonographs Obie One Kenobi's could use the force and help me with my vexing problem. There is information on the net for almost every RCA tube phonograph and radio from the 1930s out. There is very little info on the internet for the small crank RCA portable phonographs that RCA made from 1930 to 1950 after it was acquired from Victor Victrola in the 1930s It seems RCA contracted out there cheaper models to either Birch or Crosby or others at times. NO WHERE IS THERE ANY INFORMATION LINKING THE MODEL NUMBER TO A PHOTO. If the paper tag with the model number and S/N is missing from under the platter it is hard to tell what model it is. There were some very similar models made. The crank was angled into the top or could be on the side. The reproducer arm position was moved around for different models. I have checked several books, E mailed a couple of people ( no reply) and have been on the internet for six months to no avail. Is this information not important or will this be lost to history ???

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

Is this information not important or will this be lost to history ???
You might want to check out the article on RCA-Victor portable Victrolas in the March 2004 issue of The Sound Box.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I have that article but again it does not show the models with a picture. It lists the models, production numbers, and amount produced but no way to identify the models. It is one of the best information articles I have seen so far. Example model 0-15 produced in 1937 , 1487 units.. what does it look like??? Model 0-16, 2995 units produced in 1939. No photo . Tom B

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I've never come across one exactly like that. The olive-green color and the use of a metal motor-board makes me wonder if this wasn't originally intended/designed for military usage, but sold to the general public instead. (The flocked turntable, pot metal tonearm and sound box seems right in line with the 1940s models I've seen.)

I'm wondering, is the horn metal too, or is it fiber? Also, how does it sound? (Has the sound box been overhauled with soft gaskets?)

OrthoFan

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I will break it out tomorrow and open it up after I put a couple of discs on it to get me in the mood. I will post the pics too. Tom B

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

Example model 0-15 produced in 1937 , 1487 units.. what does it look like???
There are pictures of some of these models here http://www.mulhollandpress.com/styled-2 ... index.html

Unfortunately, your model is still a mystery although I did find a picture I saved from an auction.
Attachments
Very Late RCA Portable.jpg
Very Late RCA Portable.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Last edited by Silvertone on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

:D That is a great site I have been looking for one with the models and pictures... Great going, can you refer me to any thing else I would appreciate it. How did you find that site Your model seems to be the same one I have in the post above. It will be nice to find out too.. ?????Tom B

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

OrthoFan wrote:I've never come across one exactly like that. The olive-green color and the use of a metal motor-board makes me wonder if this wasn't originally intended/designed for military usage, but sold to the general public instead. (The flocked turntable, pot metal tonearm and sound box seems right in line with the 1940s models I've seen.)

I'm wondering, is the horn metal too, or is it fiber? Also, how does it sound? (Has the sound box been overhauled with soft gaskets?)

OrthoFan
I played a Nat King Cole Mona Lisa on it and the high notes sounded tinny. I opened it up and found out why. It is all metal even the sound box. That is swinging towards something made for the military to be sturdy. the whole thing is tack welded not screwed or riveted together. I have added some pictures of the bottom Tom B
Attachments
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Many thanks for the photos.

The tinny tone could also result from a diaphragm suspended in rock hard gaskets, along with a "too-stiff adjustment" of the sound box's needle-bar fulcrum. (I mention this because all of the high quality portables of the late 1920s/early 1930s such as the VV-2-55/2-35, the Columbia Viva Tonal models, the Brunswick Portable Panatropes, the HMV 101/102--were fitted with metal horns, and none sound shrill or tinny, once restored.)

If the sound box can be opened, I'd try replacing the gaskets, and tweaking the needle-bar pivot. I was able to do this with a similar sound box attached to a Birch portable I once owned, and the difference in sound quality was amazing. I could even hear a slight hint of bass.

By the way, the "plastic" components look more like Bakelite.

Again, many thanks for posting the photos.

OrthoFan