Curious what y'all do

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Curious what y'all do

Post by EdisonWizard »

Do y'all run your motors on your machines down when you're not using them? Or do you leave them wherever they are at when you're finished with them? I was just thinking today that I haven't played a few of my machines in a while and the thought just came to me.
J.F.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Re: Curious what y'all do

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Mine stay at about a half winding. Enough to relieve some tension, but I can still play a record at a moment's notice.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

It is recommended to not leave them fully wound. It could hurt the springs in long storage. Tom B

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Wind them down - but then (at least with disc machines) turn the crank a couple of times, to keep the center coil on the spring arbor.

Bill

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I always let mine run all the way down. With disc machines, I remove the turntable, so that the inertia of the spinning turntable doesn't end up driving the mainsprings backwards, possibly causing damage to the spring(s).

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I allow all of my phonographs (both cylinder and disc) as well as my music boxes to wind down completely after play. I've never had a problem with spring detachment from the arbor in many years of collecting and playing them.

Doug

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

My methods: CYLINDER AND DISC MACHINES: play them until they don't have enough spring tension to play. If you let a disc machine run without playing, you risk the flywheel effect of the turntable unhooking the center arbor from the spring inside the barrel.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Interesting observations regarding disc machines and releasing the main spring tension.

Personally, I don't agree that any special attention be made to a disc machine relative to winding down completely under any circumstances (after play or not after play). That said, however, I sincerely respect all of the aforementioned comments.

If a spring is installed correctly on the arbor(s) of any spring motor phonograph there should never be a risk or problem with inertia unhooking the spring. In the original Victor owner manuals that I have here (see example below) there is no mention of concern about the mainspring(s) becoming unhooked from the arbor. And age or use of the machine should have no bearing on that. From personal experience owning and playing hundreds of different cylinder and disc phonographs and music boxes I've never experienced a spring becoming unhooked after winding down completely with or without playing any record. Even the early cast iron turntables which generate considerable inertia should never become unhooked on winding down completely.

In fact, the Victor instruction manuals I've read, for example, encourage the owner to "wind up the motor and permit it to run down completely two or three times. Repeat this occasionally."

Perhaps I've been fortunate but it seems to me that if any main spring becomes unhooked from any spring motor resulting from the process of winding down completely under any circumstances then the main spring was likely not installed on the arbor properly.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_1137.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I let all my machines wind down.
Harvey Kravitz

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I'm a newbie but I like to wind mine down because it helps me sleep better at night knowing that my springs aren't being held back by any pressure. I guess in my case its really a moot point though because both of my machines are broken :roll: