Kiddyphone - I have a few questions.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
sdrefs
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Phonograph Collector

Kiddyphone - I have a few questions.

Post by sdrefs »

Hi - I just picked up a kiddyphone toy gramophone and had a couple of questions.

1) can you use regular phonograph needles - same as you would use for a typical gramophone (e.g. victrola)?

2) can you use a regular 78 rpm type record (I know it has to have a smaller diameter in order to play) or does it use a different type record? I've seen specific kiddyphone records for sale.

The unit seems to wind up and spin fine but when I tested it with a regular needle and small 78 rpm record I had (still bigger then the kiddyphone record but smaller then regular 78) it stopped the record from spinning.

Was wondering if it would a spring issue or if you need to have a different needle/specific record type to play?

Thanks!!

Shawn

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Kiddyphone - I have a few questions.

Post by Curt A »

What type of kiddyphone do you have? A picture would help of both the machine and record you are trying to play... As far as playing any of them (except for plastic ones or small electric ones) they should all use steel needles and they play regular 78s - usually Little Wonder records. If it is slowing down, did you: clean the record first, use a new needle for each play, lubricate the machine and are you playing shellac records from the 10s/20s/30s or are you trying to play later 40s or 50s 78s? Records typically made after the early 30s were made of a different, softer compound which will slow down machines using steel needles... Also, most kiddyphones are made for small diameter records, not 10" records, which take more power to play.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Kiddyphone - I have a few questions.

Post by Jerry B. »

Shawn, Did you get your questions answered? How is it playing now? Jerry B.