Triumph Model d question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Triumph Model d question

Post by EdisonWizard »

Zwebie wrote:
Right after I posted that I think I made a good adjustment. I pulled the bearing on the left out a bit and moved the mandrel slightly to the left. I then loosened the mandrel colar and slid the feedscrew the right. Is this right?
Edison Wizard,

You need to move the bearing to the right! You also have to loosen the set screw on the main pulley and move the pulley and thus the feedscrew to the right, then readjust the geared bearing pin on the left so that it doesn't stick out so far.
(Sad to say, but it looks like the end of your mandrel has been hammered in, also moving the surface of the mandrel to the right).

Here is a picture of what it should look like:

Bob S.
I'm having trouble following you. I tried to move the pulley to the right but the end of the "bearing" with the gear won't contact the pulley. Do you mind talking me through it? I'm working nights but I can call you tomorrow when I get up and see what you're talking about. Shoot me a pm if so. I'm also confused by what you mean with the mandrel being hammered in. It looks like it was made that way. Is there a way to fix this or do I need a new mandre and shaft?

I think I get what you're saying, but for some reason I think I tried that and wasn't successful. I'll know more in the morning! Thanks for all yalls help I really appreciate it.

I was comparing it to my home mandrel I installed a 2/4 min gearing on and there are some differences so it didn't help much.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Could the feed screw be for a home instead? And also, how far right should I put the mandrel bearing?
J.F.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Blue Amberols can be reamed fairly easily. The problem is generally with the Indestructibles and Everlastings: the metal ends and composition cores, respectively, are harder to get right.

Bill

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Well I woke up this morning and disassembled the whole assembly, and reinstalled following wyatts instruction he has on his website. I also moved the mandrel bearing where it's equal on both sides of the housing. It's a lot better. Everything also works a lot better. At the end of the feedscrew it skips a little sometimes, but I think I may have fixed that as well by adjusting the half nut. I'm gonna play it quite a bit and see how it does. Thanks for all the help. I think reaming all my cylinders will help too, along with better fit on my other machines...that's a lot of reaming! Haha but I think I'll just do a few and that'll be what I play on this machine.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

However, judging by a picture I received from Zewbie, it looks like I need to get another triumph D2 mandrel that's flush on the end...if anyone knows where I can get one I would much appreciate it!!
J.F.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

This will help you set it up properly:
http://www.wyattsmusical.com/2-4mech.html
I am sorry I misunderstood your issue.
Dave

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

You're good! I used that to set it up a little while ago!

I think I'm going to take Zewbies advice from a PM I got from him. I'm going to use a piece of wood cut out so the "nipple" of the mandrel end fits inside, and use a rubber mallet and tap the other end and see if I can get it back even. I picked up some pvc the same size as the mandrel, Ima try that first as it seems my drill "walked" off lol
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I reamed a cylinder to where it fit the mandrel very well. However it still runs out of room before a record finishes which makes me believe even more what someone said that the mandrel was lengthened by someone hammering the mandrel. See pics.
Attachments
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3918.JPG
J.F.

mark gaisser
Victor O

Post by mark gaisser »

hello,
your mandrel shaft is sticking way too far right so make sure your gearing is for a triumph d....on the inside on the side of the mandrel are codes that will identify what model it belongs to....
good luck,
mark

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

mark gaisser wrote:hello,
your mandrel shaft is sticking way too far right so make sure your gearing is for a triumph d....on the inside on the side of the mandrel are codes that will identify what model it belongs to....
good luck,
mark
Thanks mark,

It's all marked with D. Which I think is correct...but not 100%. I haven't checked code on the feedscrew though.
J.F.