Triumph Model d question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mark gaisser
Victor O

Re: Triumph Model d question

Post by mark gaisser »

good....don't ream anymore records as that is not your problem....if the codes are for the d2 then just get the shaft moved over more to left....the worst you can do is change your feed nut and bar out to the crooked style one and that will fix your problem...keep me posted and we get this done....mark

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Something just isn't right. I adjusted it as much as I could to the left, even having to move the bearing left so it contacts the colar...and nothing has changed. Starting to wonder if feedscrew is short.
Attachments
IMG_3926.JPG
I have it so far left the screw is loose that holds tension on the bearing/gear
I have it so far left the screw is loose that holds tension on the bearing/gear
IMG_3924.JPG
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

This was mentioned to me in a PM, can someone with one of these models shoot me the measurements? Not sure if it has to be a D2 or just a D or E

"Neither mandrel end really looks too banged up, I did see a few scrapes on the one end. It seems to me that the Model D and the Model E use a slightly different mandrel/feedscrew, not 100% sure on that though. It might be worth your time to have someone with a Model D and also someone with a Model E measure the length of the feedscrew shaft from the bearing end to where it goes into the mandrel. I only have a model B, a 2 minute only machine and it would be different than yours."

Edit: I just measured both the triumph D2 feedscrew and my home model A 2/4 min feedscrew. They are both 4 ½ in long from thread beginning to end.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

mark gaisser wrote:good....don't ream anymore records as that is not your problem....if the codes are for the d2 then just get the shaft moved over more to left....the worst you can do is change your feed nut and bar out to the crooked style one and that will fix your problem...keep me posted and we get this done....mark
Thanks so much for the help mark!!
J.F.

tubaphone
Victor Jr

Post by tubaphone »

It looks to me like the replacement brass bearing is in backwards. When Bob S. was telling you that it needed to be to the right I think that what he was trying to convey to you is that the shoulder of the bearing should be on the right side of the upright bearing holder. The last picture you posted looks like the shoulder is on the left side of the stanchion it should be reversed so it is on the right. That will give you allot more room for the feedscrew to go towards the mandrel. I checked my Triumph model E and it is just like I described.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
Here are a few close up pictures of my Triumph D-2 for comparison.
Pete
Attachments
005.JPG
003.JPG
004 (2).JPG
006 (2).JPG

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I'm late to the party here but my Triumph D 2 looks very much like FlashPan's pictures and this is just about how your feed screw/mandrel setup should look.

Keep in mind that the carriage on any Edison cylinder phonograph will travel only as far right as there are threads on the feed screw. Therefore, your feed screw (and its retaining collar) needs to be positioned as far right as you can (but obviously not binding on the casting boss bearing) to reach the last cylinder grooves as seen in FlashPan's first picture. And your mandrel should be positioned on its shaft similar to that of Flashpan's mandrel. As Zwebie mentioned, the surface of your mandrel has possibly been shifted slightly to the right which would add to your problem of the carriage not being able to reach the last cylinder grooves. So...try to get your Triumph feedscrew and mandrel assembly to look closely similar to Flashpan's picture of his Triumph D 2 and see if you have better results. If you still cannot play the last cylinder grooves with yours looking like his then you may think about replacing that mandrel with a good later Triumph mandrel.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Thanks guys!

When I try to move it where it's supposed to be on the mandrel, the 2 points on the feedscrew no longer come in contact with the clutch, which I'm now suspecting I have the wrong feedscrew. I read earlier that the triumph 2/4 feedscrew is a little longer than a home, which my feedscrew and my home model A feedscrew are the same length.

My mandrel and shaft measured to be 11 ⅞ if I remember correctly when I measured it last night. The feed screw measured 4.5 inches.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

tubaphone wrote:It looks to me like the replacement brass bearing is in backwards. When Bob S. was telling you that it needed to be to the right I think that what he was trying to convey to you is that the shoulder of the bearing should be on the right side of the upright bearing holder. The last picture you posted looks like the shoulder is on the left side of the stanchion it should be reversed so it is on the right. That will give you allot more room for the feedscrew to go towards the mandrel. I checked my Triumph model E and it is just like I described.

I know,I fixed it earlier, and took pictures of the alignment, then to move everything as far as I could I had to move it left to contact the colar. I have it back apart right now :-/ when I moved it like it's supposed to be set up the feedscrew no long contacts the clutch, which makes me believe I need the right feedscrew and possibly the correct colar
J.F.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The threads only on the feed screw of my Triumph D 2 measure 4 ⅝". The threads only on the feed screw of one of my Home D models measures 4 ½". So if your Triumph feed screw threads measure 4 ½" this certainly would be a contributing factor to your problem.

Doug