Triumph Model d question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Triumph Model d question

Post by EdisonWizard »

FellowCollector wrote:The threads only on the feed screw of my Triumph D 2 measure 4 ⅝". The threads only on the feed screw of one of my Home D models measures 4 ½". So if your Triumph feed screw threads measure 4 ½" this certainly would be a contributing factor to your problem.

Doug
Well luckily a member of this forum has a whole mandrel/feedscrew/ gearing setup for a model D. The feedscrew is 5" and marked TD, the mandrel is 11 13/16 and marked TD, and all the gearing comes with it! That's quite the difference. I went ahead and gonna get it to make the machine right.

Pics of what he has below.
Attachments
IMG_3937.PNG
IMG_3936.PNG
IMG_3935.PNG
J.F.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Great to hear that the problem is hopefully solved now! Triumps can be a pain but fantastic machines when you get them running, especially the large carriage machines.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Valecnik wrote:Great to hear that the problem is hopefully solved now! Triumps can be a pain but fantastic machines when you get them running, especially the large carriage machines.
i just ordered the complete setup. I'll update this post when it comes in for everyone that is curious how this plays out.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Parts are going to arrive today. Im going to take some pics and do some swaps back and forth to show the differences if there are any.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

For those interested:

I’m babysitting my boy today, and he’s not letting me play with my toys lol

Upon unboxing and comparing to what I already had on the D, the mandrel even though it appears sunk in, is the exact same length and everything as the replacement mandrel and shaft. However, the feedscrew is completely different and is marked correct, so this is going to be the entire reason for this problem. I will however mount both mandrels etc when I can (aka when the momma gets home) and compare the two. The gearing etc seems the same as well. The colars look slightly different as well, but I still need to clean it. If it is just the feedscrew, I’ll most likely use the original mandrel and gearing since it’s cleaner and shinier. When I’m able I’ll do a write up of my findings with pics. I may get rid of the extra parts if someone is interested.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

SO! Yay!!! I got it going correctly!!!

I tried putting the feedscrew on the original mandrel and it still wasn’t quite right it seemed, even though they measured the same...something just wasn’t right...it has to be the mandrel surface like some of you have said.

I installed the new D mandrel and shaft, along with the correct feedscrew, but with the original pulley, clutch, and colar cause they looked a little better...and it plays like a dream. I’m left with what looks like more than a ½” of threads left when a record finishes, and that’s one of my longest ones. Very happy now. See pic for new stuff! I took one right at the end of a record so you’ll see how much a got now.

Now what to do with the extra parts!? Anyone need a model D home 2/4 min? Haha

Thanks everyone for your help...if you see something off let me know, I’ll check it out...but I think I got it adjusted very good.

I’d also like to thank Mark, he always has parts I need, and he shipped them next day!
Attachments
B3C3F603-D5AE-4E0D-B18D-52BF186D5A76.jpeg
55CCD8AF-79A0-4001-ADFD-469CCE3E6D15.jpeg
J.F.