Question about Columbia AU

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Question about Columbia AU

Post by jboger »

This is the platter from a common model, the Columbia AU. I got it a couple of months ago at the same auction that I got several other machines. The underside of the platter puzzles me. The spindle has been soldered in place such that the platter is permanently attached to the spindle, i.e. not removable. Furthermore, the soldering job doesn't look all that great to me.

Question: Is this original, was it made this way? Or am I looking at a repair?
Attachments
DSCF1374.jpg
DSCF1374.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
DSCF1373.jpg
DSCF1373.jpg (93.37 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Question about Columbia AU

Post by Phonofreak »

The Columbia AU was never manufactured like that. Some bone-head did a crappy soldering job on this. Why, I don't know. Have the turntable unsoldered from the spindle shaft, and clean up the residue. The turntable is supposed to be removable from the spindle shaft.
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Harvey, I was hoping you would answer. From the top, I do see the tapered brass shaft that I've seen on so many Columbias and Columbia's client machines. I shall unsolder it.

Another question. I take it that this machine has a fiber gear, the one that meshes with the governor worm. It's got a hundred years of dried grease on it. Can I soak the entire gear in kerosene? Or are we looking at brushing the old grease off and then a spritz of WD-40?

Thanks.

John

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

John, I would use WD40 and an old tooth brush to clean the gunk and dirt from the gear. Be very gentle with it. Then, inspect the gear to make sure there aren't any bad or worn teeth. These gears break down and strip after 100 plus years. If it were my machine, I would get a replacement gear from Ron Sitko. He uses the same color as the original and they are made of strong delrin plastic. I would put the original gear in a small baggie and tape to the bottom of the machine for historical purposes.
Harvey Kravitz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Unfortunately, that is not soldered. It's brazed. Still removable, but will take much more heat than a propane torch. You'll need something like an oxy-acetylene torch for that. Any welding shops nearby that you can take it to?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Yes, I have learned that it was unfortunately brazed on. I only have a propane torch. I have the horn and elbow. I will post pictures of them. I believe them to be original, but always interested in other opinions. I will continue to clean the motor.