Duncan Automatic Stop For C-250

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Duncan Automatic Stop For C-250

Post by larryh »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Here's a pic of the business end of Duncan stop reproducer. You will note from the dust in the hole that I haven't used the stop in quite some time. The Duncan reproducers are designed so that the floating weight is insulated electrically from the body of the reproducer. This is my " best" DD reproducer...that is to say the one with the best original diaphragm. I've got it on the C200 at the moment. Its own machine is in storage. It was my first phonograph and even though it looks like a woodshed fell on it...because one DID fall on it :) ....I love it irrationally and some day I'll restore it.
Jim.
In the photo is the thin plate that is extra to this reproducer the actual insulating factor? I have a gold reproducer that has that extra plate inserted. I believe someone told me that reproducer originally was designed for the stop. It also has an extra long limit pin at the front.

Larry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:When I used mine I just hooked it up to a Number 6 dry cell: the large cylindrical old fashioned kind that was used for telephones and doorbells, among other things. One could still buy them at Canadian Tire in those days. They produce 1 ½ volts, that is to say the same as a flashlight D cell, but with a little more ooomph. Two D cells in parallel would probably do the trick quite nicely, no? I don't know what voltage was recommended in the Edison manual but I'm sure some of our learned colleagues must have one....George??? :P

Jim
Jim,

Your instructions are more helpful than those from Thomas A. Edison, Inc. :lol: I believe 1 ½ volts is the magic current, but if using a train transformer (an HO transformer - not your Lionel!), simply attach the leads while in the "OFF" position, then gradually increase the voltage until the Duncan stop springs to life. For what they're worth, here are the Edison instructions:

George P.
Attachments
duncan001.jpg

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

This all seems like alot of fiddling for something that adds little value.

After all, are we not all standing right next to our machines listening anyway, waiting to put another record on as soon as the previous one stops? :lol:

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

If you think about it if Edison had made the break more sensitive in that the arm that trips the stop could have been easily set to the end of the record as many other companies did it would have not needed this more complicated version. But that stop only seems to work when the screw is tightened down so that it can't move without releasing the screw.. thus you have to wait for the arm to travel to the area almost to the title area before it stops. In some ways that is ok if you're just playing records and wandering about, at least you know it is going to stop at some point.

Gleemanguy
Victor O

Post by Gleemanguy »

:roll: Thanks for the great information. When you have a toy, you gotta play with it until the new wears off! I have been looking at this gizmo for better than a year thinking I should see if it works. Now I can satisfy the curiosity that killed the cat...Gleemanguy

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Valecnik wrote:This all seems like alot of fiddling for something that adds little value.

After all, are we not all standing right next to our machines listening anyway, waiting to put another record on as soon as the previous one stops? :lol:
Isn't that the truth. After starting the current record there is time to get the next machine set up with the next tune, but then not enough time to sit down. The pictures of people standing by a machine is nothing short of truth in advertising! Thanks for making a great observation.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?