Victor record boxes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

Victor record boxes

Post by emerson »

I just picked-up Victor record boxes out of a XVI (the machine was sold separate) and from the ad it looked like some were lettered. When I got them home it appears the letters were purchased and applied from a hobby store---they can be peeled off. The boxes, 6-10" and 4-12" have a 1908 patent date and each have 5-10 records in them. I believe the 1st style VTLA used plain boxes and the machines after that had factory lettered boxes. Any thoughts---I figured that maybe the dealer that sold the machine wanted to get rid of old stock. THANKS

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Victor record boxes

Post by Curt A »

Original VTLA record boxes have gold letters on them that might appear to have just been stuck on, because they were. They should have a metal ring pull on the spine and are wooden boxes with a latch. If that is what you have don't peel the letters off. The 1908 boxes are for early VTLAs, Pooleys and the Victrola XX. Please post a picture of your boxes to determine what they actually are...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

I hope this helps. Here are some pics from my post-VTLA machine, serial No. 19398 which places its date at 1910

I have no reason to believe that these are not the original boxes. As Victor kept using parts left over from older models, it's no surprise to find a bullet brake on this machine.
Attachments
boxes.JPG
boxesmachine.jpg
boxesmachine.jpg (217.32 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Are all Victor 10" & 12" record boxes the same or was there a variation?

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

emerson wrote:Are all Victor 10" & 12" record boxes the same or was there a variation?
I can only say that I have never seen another type of box in an L-Door XVI. There were different boxes in later models, however this the only box type of this era I have seen.