Early Edison Concert Machine - Serial Number 33

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bobkolba
Victor O

Early Edison Concert Machine - Serial Number 33

Post by bobkolba »

I have had this machine in my collection for years and it appears to be in mint condition. The serial number 33 is the earliest I have ever seen of this model. However, I am confused as to why the striping is orange and not gold color. Any help in solving this puzzle would be most appreciated.
Attachments
Edison Concert 004.JPG
Edison Concert 002.JPG
Edison Concert 001.JPG

victorthesixth
Victor I

Re: Early Edison Concert Machine - Serial Number 33

Post by victorthesixth »

bobkolba wrote:I have had this machine in my collection for years and it appears to be in mint condition. The serial number 33 is the earliest I have ever seen of this model. However, I am confused as to why the striping is orange and not gold color. Any help in solving this puzzle would be most appreciated.
The bedplate might have been painted with orange shellac.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Early Edison Concert Machine - Serial Number 33

Post by Phonofreak »

To the best of my knowledge, striping on machines were sealed in shellac. After more than 100 years later, it becomes the orange color. I see that on Victor, Columbia, Edison, and other machines with gold stripes.
Harvey Kravitz
victorthesixth wrote:
bobkolba wrote:I have had this machine in my collection for years and it appears to be in mint condition. The serial number 33 is the earliest I have ever seen of this model. However, I am confused as to why the striping is orange and not gold color. Any help in solving this puzzle would be most appreciated.
The bedplate might have been painted with orange shellac.