Everyone needs a VV-VI like this!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Everyone needs a VV-VI like this!

Post by jboger »

I believe it's a prototype for a day-night machine. Also, a very early transition piece between a cylinder machine (note horn) and an internal horn Victor. Every home should have one but alas this piece may be unique. Then again, maybe not?
Attachments
VV-VI_2.jpg
VV-VI.jpg

neilmack
Victor II

Re: Everyone needs a VV-VI like this!

Post by neilmack »

Wonderful original machine. Shame someone has stuck those flower transfers on it.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Is this an ebay or craigslist item? This could be Victor's version of the Pathé Jour-Et-Nuit(Spelling)?????
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

i spotted it on Liveauctioneers.com.

Which makes me wonder if we have a topic for modified machines like this. I've seen some very interesting and some very creative modifications on the Forum, some old, some not-so-old. Could be interesting to develop a database, if it doesn't already exist. Those machines clearly meant to deceive, such as the so-called frankenphones and crapolas, would/should not be included.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Actually, in my opinion, this is a cobbled up, hodgepodge, frank-en-phone.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I hope you are joking about this being a "prototype"... unless you mean a prototype of a new variation of Crap-O-Franken-Phone. A backmount made from an eyebolt with a horn connector made from plastic tubing... :?: :roll: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

jboger wrote:I believe it's a prototype for a day-night machine.
I agree with the others, it looks like a modification that was done on the part of one of the machine's owners.

As for the reason this was done, If I had to guess, I'd say the intention was to double the volume, though how successful this would be compared to an as-is model, I don't know. If all the connections are air-tight, it should function as a double horn, and would have an expanded tone.

OrthoFan

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Yes, kidding with the bit about a prototype. It is a frankenphone in that it's made from parts from more than one machine, but it doesn't look like it was intended to deceive the unwary and unsuspecting neophyte. There was a very interesting machine sold on eBay a few months ago. If I remember correctly, it was some sort of table-top creation with a kazoo for a horn. Very imaginative. Then there was a machine made to look like an elaborate opera house or music hall. And wasn't there also a goat? Some of these concoctions are inspired (IMHO).

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

:roll: :roll: Contact that guy on E bay selling phonographs from India for $ 1100.00 I am sure he will take it off your hands for a new phroto type. Tom B