Fair price for an original leather horn elbow? Real or Fake?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Fair price for an original leather horn elbow? Real or Fake?

Post by Django »

I am curious what a fair price would be for a decent, original leather horn elbow. I would think that these would be very scarce because 100+ year old leather doesn't generally hold up very well. I would like to put originals on my Berliners if it is not prohibitive.

Thanks
Last edited by Django on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Fair price for an original leather horn elbow???

Post by Jerry B. »

I've been to Union and APS (formerly CAPS) many many times and don't recall seeing a loose leather elbow for sale. That's something I've never specifically hoped to find so I may have missed seeing a leather elbow for sale. So I think your chances of finding an original leather elbow is decent condition is quite small.

I'd like to see better quality reproduction leather elbows offered. The last reproduction I received seems quite cheap and light weight. The surviving originals seem to be more substantial. I think most of us would be happy to pay for better quality.

Can anyone point me towards a good reproduction leather elbow?

Thanks, Jerry

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I saw one of these four elbows on ebay yesterday and I think that it looks authentic, (it inspired this topic). I bought it and then the guy posted three more, so I bought them too. The were not much more than the cost of a normal reproduction and they look more the part, even if not authentic. The edges are more finished looking than any reproductions that I have seen and they don't look as if they were all made by the same person. Fake or real, they will look good on my machines and they didn't break the bank. Any opinions on originality?
Attachments
e3.jpg
e5.jpg
e2.jpg
e4.jpg

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

The ones I have seen at a couple of the recent phonograph auctions have gone for $300-$400. John
Horns rolled and straightened

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I received the four elbows that I bought on ebay. One is still quite supple and is not included in these pictures. The other three are very stiff and appear to be very old. The leather is compacted in the areas where the horn and throat would have applied pressure. The flattened one has the least compression from a horn. One even has what appears to be oxidation from a corroded horn in the seam. I am not an expert and have never actually seen an authentic leather elbow in the wild and I am sure that there were variations. If they are not originals, that is OK too because I only paid $39.50 each and they still look better than new reproductions. If they are not old, someone went to a great deal of work for little money.

Any opinions?
Attachments
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG