Victor IV

electric Edison DD phonograph

Post by phonophan79 »

Electric DD on craigslist.

ad at...
http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/1441436158.html

pics at...
https://home.comcast.net/~israelt/edison_1.htm

I've never seen a motor attached to a DD like that. I was surprised that you don't see something with the motor in the shot with the lid open, but I guess it is below the motorboard.

Anyone know what is is? Third party? period?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: electric Edison DD phonograph

Post by brianu »

I believe that the electric mechanism is just for winding and that inside is the standard spring-driven motor - which the electric thing will wind for you... I remember reading about those in - of course - one of the fabrizio/paul books. and yes, they're of the period, well, a bit later than the C-19 (or is that a 250? - can never keep the drawer/slats distinction straight) but still from, I think, the 20's.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Gents,

IIRC it's called a Motrola. Yup-and here's an old brochure courtesy of Nipperhead.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Thanks for the reference!

In the brochure pictures this is placed where the crank would be... but in the pictures of the actual unit, it's in the back of the machine?

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

brianu wrote:I believe that the electric mechanism is just for winding and that inside is the standard spring-driven motor - which the electric thing will wind for you... I remember reading about those in - of course - one of the fabrizio/paul books. and yes, they're of the period, well, a bit later than the C-19 (or is that a 250? - can never keep the drawer/slats distinction straight) but still from, I think, the 20's.
The photo of the data plate looks like it's a C-19

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

On page 202 of the Fourth Edition of The Compleat Talking Machine there is a closeup of the Motrola. Does seem like a handy item :)

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I've got one that I've used on a VV-XVI. You push a spring-loaded button on top to start the operation. It works okay, though it's noisy, and a bit scary as it barrels along, tightening the springs nearly to their max before shutting off. I wasn't aware that it's supposed to sense when to automatically turn on again to rewind, but the noise during playing would be very intrusive to say the least! I took it off after a short time, preferring the silence and satisfying feeling of gentler manual winding!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

It was invented by Joseph W. Jones of early phonograph-era fame,
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

phonophan79 wrote:Thanks for the reference!

In the brochure pictures this is placed where the crank would be... but in the pictures of the actual unit, it's in the back of the machine?
Dean,

The motor is on the crank side. If you look closely on the left side of the picture, you can see the knob for the record storage door.

Brad
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

phonophan79 wrote:Thanks for the reference!

There's a squared hole in the back of the motor unit that a straight winding shaft fits into. The other end of the shaft is threaded and of the correct length and diameter, depending on the brand and model of machine. The original buyer of these would get the correct straight shaft at the time of purchase, I assume. The buyer would take off the crank escutcheon and fasten a triangle-shaped mounting piece to the cabinet, often being able to use the two existing screw holes. The straight shaft replaces the crank and protrudes from the cabinet about a half-inch. The motor unit is hung on a post on the metal mount, and the squared winding shaft end slips in. Once installed, the motor unit is further held in place by the winding shaft's spring tension off the phonograph motor.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo