Edison B80 Motor Mainspring Replace

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Re: Edison B80 Motor Mainspring Replace

Post by vansteem78 »

Cliff! A great video. You made it look easy..... for some of us it seems daunting. I've never replaced a spring.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

vansteem78 wrote:Cliff! A great video. You made it look easy..... for some of us it seems daunting. I've never replaced a spring.
The first few dozen spring installs had some scary moments. Here is one of my very early installs with a couple scary moments.

Check out 3:05 and 4:07 of this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PHRwD4cX0

This is back when I was doing this on the back patio...

Eventually, strong hands and a weak mind prevailed. The trick is to never lose focus, never give the spring a chance to 'escape', because even the slightest bit of distraction is all the spring needs to come completely unwound in the blink of an eye. If you're lucky, it won't hit any vital spots while unwinding...

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I just bought my first Edison B-80 in oak. It's in great condition as far as the cabinet and complete. I going to have the motor and spring serviced tomorrow. No way I would try to take that spring out myself! It's true they are a monster for a table top machine. It is no portable that's for sure!!! I had to have a 25 year old strong man carry it down the stairs when I bought it at an estate sale.