Today's Find!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Today's Find!

Post by fran604g »

oldphonographsteve wrote:
fran604g wrote:Are you sure this isn't actually a "QA"?

Look inside the lid for a paper sticker. The reason I ask is because if it is a QA, a 14" aluminum horn would be accurate for it. As opposed to the 10" nickel plated or japanned cone horn.

Great find,BTW! Congratulations!

Best,
Fran
Thank you! I don't see a sticker inside the horn but I do see some glue residue from where there used to be one. I tried playing it with a spare 14 inch horn I had and it couldn't play through the cylinder (the horn was bearing down to much weight on the mechanism.) Perhaps I need to oil it.

-Stephen
Likely the spring may be weak. The springs in all 4 of my Q's are a little tired, but I'm also not sure just how strong they were to begin with. As for the original 14" aluminum horn I own, to my feeling, it's as lightweight, or even a little lighter than the original 10" nickel horn I own. The original steel 10" cone horn I have, on the other hand, is heavier than both.

Definitely oil all the shaft/bearing points with a light oil (like sewing machine oil for instance), and also check and clean the feedscrew, and mating half-nut. Gunk likes to accumulate on the half-nut especially. I noticed a remarkable improvement on mine after doing this. Of course, an entire dismantling and thorough cleaning would be best. ;)

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.