Today's Find!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Today's Find!

Post by oldphonographsteve »

This is the best bargain I have ever gotten. I initially responded to a Craigslist ad for a Columbia Q which was listed for only $150. I, of course, jumped on this immediately, and when I arrived today I saw that there was way more there than what was listed.

There was a box of Dr. Rosenthal Language records, most in excellent condition, eight Victrola VTLA record boxes filled with period Victor patent label records, though I have found some harder to find labels so far like a Fonotipia. There was an additional box of records also, all from the 1900s and 1910s.
There was about 200 records, some cylinders, and a working Graphophone Q, and for a grand total of $225. Deals like this are still out there!!

There is only one issue with the Graphophone, being that the reproducer rests too low towards the mandrel. It scratches a cylinder when I put it on. Does anybody know how to correct this? I am also looking for an original cone or 10" nickel plated horn for the machine as well as the tiny thumbscrew for the reproducer.

Anyhow, I'm super excited right now! :D :D :D

-Stephen
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Today's Find!

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Yes, it was a wonderful deal!

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Way to go.

Bill K

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

To me, it looks as if the lift finger of the carriage assembly has come loose from the pivoting cone the reproducer slides onto. You could try to slide it back away from the reproducer and see if it raises the reproducer higher (as it should be), or you can bend the finger up so it lifts the reproduced higher.

I've had the same problem.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II

fran604g wrote:To me, it looks as if the lift finger of the carriage assembly has come loose from the pivoting cone the reproducer slides onto. You could try to slide it back away from the reproducer and see if it raises the reproducer higher (as it should be), or you can bend the finger up so it lifts the reproduced higher.

I've had the same problem.

Best,
Fran
Thanks Fran! Bending the lift finger worked just fine with some needle nose pliers and now the reproducer doesn't touch the record when it is lifted up. Hopefully I didn't bend it too much.

-Stephen
Attachments
11.jpeg
10.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Terrific find. Congratulations! Jerry B.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I had a little screw in my reproducer on my Q that was kind of a pain to remove each time I wanted to play it. On eBay there are some reproduction thumb screws for this that I got that worked perfectly. Check them out!
J.F.

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Fabulous score! That graphophone looks to be in great condition. Record boxes, cylinders and 78's were icing on the cake for that deal. Big congratulations! Steve

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Are you sure this isn't actually a "QA"?

Look inside the lid for a paper sticker. The reason I ask is because if it is a QA, a 14" aluminum horn would be accurate for it. As opposed to the 10" nickel plated or japanned cone horn.

Great find,BTW! Congratulations!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II

fran604g wrote:Are you sure this isn't actually a "QA"?

Look inside the lid for a paper sticker. The reason I ask is because if it is a QA, a 14" aluminum horn would be accurate for it. As opposed to the 10" nickel plated or japanned cone horn.

Great find,BTW! Congratulations!

Best,
Fran
Thank you! I don't see a sticker inside the horn but I do see some glue residue from where there used to be one. I tried playing it with a spare 14 inch horn I had and it couldn't play through the cylinder (the horn was bearing down to much weight on the mechanism.) Perhaps I need to oil it.

-Stephen